2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Noise under timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Vinnietbird
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise under timing cover

My son's 2002 Dodge Neon has a rattly kind of sound coming from under the timing cover. I had the timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced about two years ago, and the car runs great. Motor always sounds like a little sewing machine.

Last week, I heard a rattly sound. I was hoping alternator or another external accessory. From the very best I can tell, under the timing cover. Engine still idles fine, and runs good, but that noise.

Any ideas what it may be? I am guessing one of two things, either a bad tensioner, or the timing belt is torn or damaged and hitting the inside of the cover.

Is there a particular tensioner and belt kit to buy or are most timing kits for the 2002 Neon the same? Were there different tensioners?

Old 12-31-2017, 09:48 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

221 reads, but no replies, so i'll see if I can get things started. You mentioned a couple of years ago replacing the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, but didn't mention the Idler pulley, so maybe it belongs on the suspect list if the sound is indeed coming from Under the timing belt cover. A thought for pondering, would be interesting to hear what you find.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Vinnietbird

OK....here is the findings....The timing belt, water pump and pulley were all replaced about a year ago, it was the tensioner. I thought at that time the pulley WAS the tensioner. Apparently not. It was the cylinder shaped two bolt tensioner that was bad. I ordered a new one online from Dallas for $36. The one at Autozone was over $100. It got to me in 36 hours (we are two hours from Dallas). Once the new tensioner was installed, back to running like a little sewing machine. The little car sounds great and is running fine again.

PawPaw, I appreciate your replies. As I stated before, I'm a V-8 Ford guy. I am used to working on my own Thunderbird with a built 306. But this little Neon is my son's car and it has it's own personality for sure. LOL. It's called Lo-Tech due to it's extreme lack of options. Again, thanks.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:46 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok good feedback & to hear it seems you found & have put the fix on the problem & are "on the road again"!!!.
Since you seem to like turning your own wrenches, be sure to visit the forum sticky link atop the index page to the no cost access of the the FSM here, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-manuals.html.
It really helped me last year in dropping the tranny valve body to see how to replace the faulty torque converter clutch solenoid, that just suddenly went open circuit.
Yup the 2000 Neon the Wife inherited 9 years ago isn't very refined, but as the Dealer SM said, the Neon was their Most reliable model by far & we've found that to be true, even in our severe service excessive around town short tripping.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Vinnietbird

This car is high mileage, about 210,000 miles. But the little motor is just smooth and steady. I have replaced parts since I had it,

brakes
electric fan
radiator
thermostat
water temp sensor (just in case)
door locks and ignition tumbler
Stereo (by choice for CD player and XM Radio)
a couple of vacuum lines
battery
water pump/timing belt, timing pulley/tensioner
Belt tensioner
spark plugs and wires
filter
tie rod ends
seats, carpet (previous owner was a crazy smoker, holes everywhere)
tires for the stock tiny 14 inch steel wheels
a/c cmpressor
ECM

I have a new fuel pump assembly in the garage. While the list of replaced parts may seem extensive to some, it really wasn't that much. and the previous owner apparently didn't do any upkeep other than oil changes. I want to change out suspension bushings at some point. It is a LOW option/no option car, but it does have it's own character. Cold air, hot heat, starts and drives great every time now.

I look for parts all over to save a lot of money. For example, I called Autozone for the fuel pump assembly, about $140 here in town, I got the same part brand new on Ebay for $33 shipped. Same with the ECM, Dodge wanted $700, I got one from a reman place in Florida for $125. It defeats the purpose to put thousands in a car like this. I really don't have much in it at all. The seats were $30 from a local boneyard in excellent condition. So far, it's a keeper.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
paw paw
Captain

Roger on "It's a Keeper", we feel the same way about ours. As you said, it's not very refined, but as we've found it has been Very Reliable & so far low cost to maintain & or repair, so no need at present to replace this puppy, as it seems Well suited for the Severe Service around town short tripping it sees. It's maintained with the specified fluids & filters, changed at, or before Chryslers Severe Service call outs.
My First Mopar was a 36 Plymouth 4dr, with a flat head 6, I bought from a customer for $65 saved from my paper route. Before the Neon, the last Mopar was a OHV V8 56 2dr Dodge Coronet, with push button drive, that I came by in 61 from the bil, who bought it new. They too were reliable, when maintained with top notch fluids & filters changed on time.