Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Neon > 2nd Gen Neon
Reload this Page >

2005 Dodge Neon

2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Dodge Neon

Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 AM
Joseph Villalobos
Default 2005 Dodge Neon

Hey there everyone. Im having multiple issues with my 2005 Dodge Neon. So I will give all the information I can so someone will be able to assist of give me a solution.
Its a 05' dodge Neon, 2.0, 4 cyl, manual transmission.
The car started having slight heating issues this last summer. The cap to the radiator fluid reserve tank. It hasnt been replaced still, but has a temporary fix of a perscription bottle cap on it. So adding fluid to the radiator was few and far in between fill ups. Maybe once every few days. I replaced the access cap for the radiator hose. just as of recently the car has had more issues with heating up. Im adding coolant every 30-45 miles. About 2 months ago i was driving and using the heat in the car and the system started blowing cold air. Then the temp gauge showed signs of overheating. I pulled over, let the car cool down and checked the coolant level. I had to add a descent amount of water but it fixed the problem temporarily. I checked and the fan is working properly. When i have the cap off the hose for the coolant while the car is cold, it takes awhile for the coolant to start circulating. When it starts circulating though the fluid just starts pouring out from there so i havent kept the cap off for long. So with heat on in the car, ensuring that there is proper level of fluid, the car runs just fine.
now within this last week, the muffler for the car fell off. Ive had the check engine light come on. Had it checked by local auto parts store. They informed me its a misfire on cylinder 1. I was told to change the spark plugs. See if it helped. I changed them. Soon after the battery didnt have power enough to turn the car over. I jumped it and that worked. I notice there is coolant that is coming from where the reserve tank is. But havent found any leaks. A week passes and im driving, added water at my first stop then 20 min into my commute i hear ticking when i accelerate more. The temp is high and there is cold air coming from the vents inside the car. I pull off the freeway and into a gas station. Added coolant and same problems. Except the car is not starting as easy. I eventually pulled over again, it took coolant but oil level on dipstik shows above full. No white substance in the oil. Its taking about 30 seconds of holding the key turned to start the car. With tapping the gas... its now not idling correctly. It cuts out and i have to push on the gas pedal while in nuetral just to keep it running. Very rough idle and temperature issue, with ticking and cutting out while stopped in neutral is what i need help with. Im not working right now so finances are tight, if there is a list of to do's i can get. Starting with the first check and solution all the way to eliminating all the possibile problems, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Moving to second gen neon for ya. Welcome to DF!

Old 12-27-2017, 02:04 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Starting with a $6 radiator cap would be my first suggestion as far as the coolant problem goes. The cap does a little more than just keeping coolant from spilling out. Without a proper cap, you're going to have coolant loss and the cooling system isn't pressurizing which will lead to overheating. Second, if you haven't changed the spark plugs in the last 30,000 miles or the wires on the last 60,000 miles, your engine likely needs a basic tune up of plugs and wires. Copper plugs: ~$8-$10. Wires: ~$30. Just make sure to tap the spark plugs correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Neon

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: