2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Engine Options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:42 AM
mgraves235
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Options?

Hey guys, ive' got an '01 that i was given for repairing it last year, it had broken a timing belt, so i replaced the head, waterpump, timing pieces, radiator, etc. Been doing fine since then. Now, when i drive for a while in the heat, it get an oil pressure warning. oil level is fine. It has right at 200k on it. I'm assuming it's worn rings, due to the mileage. the problem is, I'm disabled (epilepsy, heart condition), so I have no real income right now. What is the cheapest option to get my back up to snuff? I've priced shortblocks, and they're way out of my price range, so is machine work. In the old days, being cheap asses that we were, we would ball-hone the cylinders and re-ring with new rings and slap it back together. Not the proper fix, but it would get us back on the road for a bit. although its half-***, is this still feasible with todays block and ring compositions? or have the bores likely been too worn for this to be an option? at this point it's either the redneck refurb, or possibly a used engine, if i can find one cheap enough. I'm not a fan of either option, as this is my only mode of transport right now. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 PM
otis_771
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wont be piston rings, crankcase oil isnt pressurized so if your loosing pressure it will be worn bearings, pump or maybe even a bad sensor

Quick Reply: Engine Options?