2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Neon guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise

Hey I have a problem with my 2003 Dodge Neon SXT. The daily temp. where I live is 6-12 degrees. When ever I start to go from a stop sign I hear a clicking/tapping noise comming from the left side of the engine. Also when I acc. at 25-35mph I hear this noise again. Some people have told me that the CV joint is worn out. Is this possible on a 2003 car. Also where is the CV joint on my car. What could this problem be or is it just because it is so cold out. I bought this car that was in a crash but was fixed by the dealer. What could ths be? Could it be brakes, cv oint, cold weather. Please help. Thanks alot

Jason[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 AM
scaredpoet
Default RE: Clicking noise

If the clicking noise varies based on speed (i .e. faster clicking noises the faster you go, slower clicks as you roll to a stop) then the CV joint is a likely candidate.

CV joints are located at each front wheel of the car, and they basically allow a front wheel drive car to "drive" or turn the wheels forward or back, no matter what angle the wheels are turned to. A normal CV joint will actually look more like a black accordion-like boot connecting the drive shaft to the wheel. That accordion-like boot isn't the joint itself, but is actually a casing that keeps the joint packed with grease.

Sometimes the joints jsut wear out. Other times, road debris or other things cause that boot casing to split, and the grease that keeps the joint lubed will spill out, which greatly increases wear and causes the joint to rapidly degrade. In any case, if the CV joint is the problem, it should be replaced.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Clicking noise

Do you hear the clicking around corners or when going straight or both? How are your brakes?

Quick Reply: Clicking noise