2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Bad Clutch After 20k Miles ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 AM
413cuda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Clutch After 20k Miles ?

Hi all,

I purchased a new 2004 Dodge Neon SXT about 2 years ago and haven’t made a single performance modification to it. Yep, its stock. This has been my daily driver and the car has been problem free up to the past month (when the weather got cold).

Since then, everything seems fine as long as I keep the engine under 2000 RPMs. When it hits approx 2200 RPMs and the gas pedal is down all the way, the car will stop accelerating and the RPMs will climb to about 3000 (no higher). This is especially noticeable in the higher gears (4th and 5th). If I feather the gas pedal carefully, I can get the car to accelerate and the RPMs above 2200. I've never experienced a problem like this, but, immediately thought that the clutch might be slipping. So, I took it to my local Service Dealer and explained all of the above. The mechanics took the car for a test drive and were completely baffled by the problem. They thought that it might be a misfire. As instructed, I changed the plugs and wires – but this did not solve the problem. The second time back to the Service Dealer, they looked over the air intake system and found no problem. They finally reached the conclusion that the clutch must be bad.

My previous car was a 1995 Plymouth Neon Sport, which I also purchased new. When I finally decided that it was time to get rid of that car (sob) - it had 195,000 miles on it and still had the original clutch (never had a problem with it).

I’ve completely lost confidence in the 5 Star Service Center that I am dealing with. And they now want to charge me $800+ to replace the clutch on a 2 year-old Neon SXT with 22,000 miles on it. Has anyone here experienced the same problems that I am having? Advice?

Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: Bad Clutch After 20k Miles ?

You know your problem could just be a very plugged up cat ...are there no CELS showing up??? Does the clutch smell like its goin or burning something??

Old 12-10-2005, 03:31 PM
casper
Legend

If the RPM is going up and the speed is not the clutch is slipping, there is no more to it. You might have got a bad clutch from the factory. I bought a clutch for my 98 neon and it went in a week. Come to find out that they sold me a turned in core clutch from a warenty that someone returned. It should be under warenty.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:24 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Do some searching around and get some different quotes.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:09 PM
413cuda

Thanks to all for the info / suggestions.

The car/clutch is making no strange smells whatsoever. And the check engine light has never lit (this is probably what is giving the Dodge service center fits - the computer isn't telling the mechanics what the problem is).

I scoured the web last night looking for people who might have had a similar experience and, for the most part, came up dry. Casper, are you familiar with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? I was wondering if this might possibly be the culprit, considering that I only seem to have trouble when I have the gas pedal mashed (FOT). Another thing that I can't figure out is that this is a cold weather problem. Even though I've never had a clutch problem in any of my previous vehicles, I thought that they tend to slip in hot weather - not cold. I might be wrong here - maybe the hydraulic clutches react differently to cold weather?

Anyway, I'll be taking the car to another mechanic this coming week for a second opinion. At least, he's someone I've dealt with frequently in the past who I know is very knowledgable and trustworthy (but not a Dodge authorized service center). I'd go ahead and just let the Dodge Dealership replace the clutch and see what happens, but its no longer covered by warranty (1 yr / 12,000 miles). I never knew that clutches didn't fall under the 7/70 powertrain or at least the 3/36 bumper to bumper factory isseued warranty.

Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM
casper
Legend

Again, if the rpm is going up and the spedo is not the clutch is slipping there is nothing else that it can be. All that is there is the crank connecting to the flywheel, connecting to the clutch, which connects to the trans. The TPS has nothing to do with it, all it does it tell the PCM where the throttle is.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:12 AM
ewetho
All Star

Tell them to fix the car, even if the clutch were to be slipping that would let the engine more easily rev past 3000 RPM not limit it. Sound like you may have multiple problems but they definitely need to fix your rpm limited issue. Should not have any trouble revving past 3000 especially if the clutch is slipping limiting the load on you engine to say 50%. Light load spin up faster. Now ignore the clutch for a moment and tell them to fix the powertrain and you may find something.

Quick Reply: Bad Clutch After 20k Miles ?