2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Neon Died, no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM
DJnAtl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Neon Died, no start

My wife was driving at 35 mph or so and it just lost all power. The lights, radio, wipers, dash lights etc. work normally. When I tried to start it, no click, no crank....nothing. I swapped the ignition relay with another relay in the panel under the hood, to no avail. I connected my ODB code reader and it doesn't even light up, much less connect. Seems to be some type of ignition issue. Any ideas where I might start? Thanks in Advance for any help.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.

Good idea to have tried to scan for trouble code clues. Seeing as how the scan tool is powered from the DLC connector & it wouldn't power up, check fuse #21, (a 20amp) in the under hood power distribution box, as the DLC power comes through it, as does the ASD power relay, so if its blown a number of things your having problems with won't work.
Some initial thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:16 PM
DJnAtl
Default 2003 Neon Died, no start

Thanks paw paw, will definitely check that when I get home.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:38 PM
DJnAtl
Talking 2003 Neon Died, no start

That did the trick paw paw! Sure appreciate the info. Saved me some time, headache and money. One quick question, is there something I might want to check, say something that may have caused the fuse to blow or could it have just blown due to age etc?

Thanks

Old 03-03-2019, 06:00 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, good find, fix, feedback & good idea to be proactive wondering about what blew a 20 amp fuse, so you might be able to trouble shoot the root cause.

SO, lets think about this some more. That danged #21 fuse powers a Lot of suspects, like the ASD relay coil & all the things the ASD relay switches power to, like the ECM, Alternator field winding, Fuel injectors, O2 sensor heaters, Fuel pump, Coil pack, the DLC connector wire that supplies power to your scan tool, so Lots of suspects on the list, thus If the new fuse hasn't blown, I'd not start the engine yet but hook up your scan tool & look for set, or pending trouble code clues & post up All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot & might be able to narrow down the suspect list some. Post All pending, or set trouble code Numbers

Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 03-04-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2003 Neon Died, no start