2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 neon not starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:37 PM
kornfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 neon not starting

Bear with me I'll try not to make this very lengthy but basically you this is the issue I'm having I bought the car from a guy the timing belt broke so I put a new belt on it put a new head on it because the old ones valves were bent got the timing perfectly put everything back together and the engine won't start I verified timing hundreds of times perfect So I thought maybe it was the Cam or crank sensor not getting a signal which would cause it not to start Replace those with dealer parts same issue. what is kind of weird is that it will spark all the Cylinders one time and then it will not spark again until You let it sit for a little . But that's the only time I can get spark to come out of that coil pack. Is when you 1st try to start it so I thought well maybe there's a short in the wiring I've been through all the wiring everything looks good I even have my buddy who owns a shop come over with like a $40000 scan tool that scans everything on the car and he told me that this car should start in that every item is checking out through the computer just so I'm at a loss at this point I even bought a remanufactured computer just to double check in it was with the correct then no security lights none of that stuff Any ideas from anyone would be awesome I would appreciate any help at this point I've dumped so much money into this car I don't want to just throw it away you know what I mean I might as well figured out now

Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.

I see you don't have any replies, so I'll see if I can get things started.

Good feedback on what you've done so far. Also good idea to have had a scan tool take a look at things & it should have been able to have found some trouble code clues, so post up All trouble code Numbers, pending, or set, as they can often help focus a trouble shoot. If your friend didn't give you the code Numbers, ask if he still has them & if not rescan the ecm with your code reader, or scan tool & post all code Numbers you find.
If you don't have a code reader, or scan tool, you can have the instrument display put up the codes by following the instructions in the owners manual.

Takes air, fuel, spark to make em run & compression to make em run well, so from your findings we know spark is going intermittent. So with your fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail schrader valve test port, how does fuel pressure & delivery rate over time look ? Fuel pressure for your 05 model should be something like 53-63 psi & delivery rate is typically something like 1/2 pt - 15 seconds pump run time.
If you can't hear the fuel pump run & cut off, check its fuse & power relay in the under hood power distribution box, drivers side back close to the battery.

With your vacuum gauge connected to a handy engine vacuum port, how does vacuum look when you crank the engine?
We know you said you've checked timing a thousand times & we assume you meant valve timing after replacing the timing belt, but maybe you meant spark timing, so if valve timing is off, expected vacuum readings would be off. Here is a link on how we can use the simple vacuum gauge to quickly diagnose various engine anomalies that you might find helpful in your trouble shoot. www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm Scroll down to find the various illustrated moving needle test scenarios to get an idea whats mechanically going on with our engines

Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 06-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot to ask how tight was this puppy was wound when it came unraveled, thinking maybe aside from the spark going missing, it might have a cracked piston or two & if so, vacuum & compression would be mucked up too.
When you crank it & spark is still present, before spark goes missing, does the engine fire & try to run at all ?

Quick Reply: 05 neon not starting