2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Blower motor fuse blows immediately - 2005 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 PM
brucemc777
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor fuse blows immediately - 2005 Neon

OK... Not quite a year here in our home now in Palm Bay, FL, and my wife isn't getting much cooling out of the A/C as the blower motor won't work, and she is one who can not live without A/C.

Found the fuse was blown, put a new one in, and it fried immediately.

I have never torn into the dash of this car. About the only work i have done was to replace the motor mounts, and that was incomplete as i have no clue as to how one gets to the one halfway up the engine on the passenger side.

Anyway, PLEASE correct me if i am chasing a snipe, but i am guessing that i either have a problem with the switch or the electric fan motor; in either case, i really don't know how to proceed as i don't know how to get at either one, and if not the switch or motor, then what?

Hope someone out there knows what they are doing and can guide me, the days that i could afford a good mechanic are definitely not now...

Thank-You, everyone!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:30 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I see you don't have any replies yet, so I'll see if I can get things started.

If you don't have a repair manual with wiring pictorials, we have access to the FSM in the sticky atop the forum index page in bottom of moderator darthroush posts here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post2459990 Click on the Red year range that covers your vehicle at the bottom of his post..

With the fuse removed, does your test circuit breaker, or 12 volt test light come on, or another fuse blow if the blower motor speed control is in the Off position & the Mode switch in position 2, or 3 ?

If so, suspect a short circuit in the motor, or wiring between the fuse outlet & the fan motor, or wiring to the speed control switch, so begin isolating by disconnecting the motor electrical connector to check for a short to ground in the wiring to the motor. If that checks ok use your multimeter, test light or test circuit breaker to look for a short to ground in the motor windings.
If that checks ok check for a short to ground in the wire carrying the B+ to the fan motor speed control switch with it in the Off position, as that'll check the wiring to the speed control switch.
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 06-24-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:47 PM
brucemc777
Rookie

Thank-you very much for posting; i was concerned about this forum when i saw nothing at all for a while!

Prior to reading your post i chose to dive in and poke around. I removed the blower motor and found it had water in it! I think at minimum it would be a good idea to now replace that and think it is very likely the source of the problem.

With the blower motor removed i had to run out on some errands. Now, fortunately, this is my wife's car, for if it was mine i would probably not have found the following so funny. Upon acceleration, what seemed like a wave of water poured out of where the blower motor was, perhaps a gallon, soaking the passenger's side to over a half inch of standing water!

With a little research i understand the likely culprit is a ploged air conditioning water vent. Would you happen to know exactly where the dang vent hose terminates under the car? I took a cursory look but didn't see it, will have to revisit it with the car properly blocked and raised on stands. A video i watched suggests to blow it out with compressed air, which i think is worth a shot. Honestly, i would rather get at it from the top if not too hard as whatever i blow from the bottom of the hose will probably just find its way back into it, but if it fixes it for now, so be it...

Thank-you for your consideration!

Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 PM
paw paw
Captain

The Field Service Manual FSM link I posted will show where the AC condensate drain is located. Scroll down to chapter 24 page 31 & look for item-3 in the pictorial. A rubber finger hose coming through the firewall Under hood on the passenger side, about level with the top of the hump.
Try inserting a length of weed whacker / trimmer string to open it up. Heat the end of the string to round it off, so you don't poke a hole in the tubing if its soft, or dry rotted,
Also blower motor trouble shooting info in chapter 24. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by paw paw; 06-22-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM
brucemc777
Rookie

Doing much better now - the first time i tried for that FSM i was rejected, having to request permission. Must have been cleared in the meantime, as this time i got it, THANKS!

edit: I must admit, on that which i downloaded i can not correlate a Page 31 to anything, but Group 24 Figure 24-220, item 30 appears to be what i am looking for if i am reading this right-

and yet another edit: I see i overlooked the FSM and was referring to a parts manual. I think i have it right now. Seems doing yardwork in 95° takes its toll on the brain cells i have left to work with.

Last edited by brucemc777; 06-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 PM
brucemc777
Rookie

Heh.

Without your guidance, i never would have stood a chance.

I was looking underneath the car for the drain hose. Yes, passenger side, and firewall proximity, but underneath.

Maybe ours was modified by the same kid who owned it before us and lowered it to a few inches above the ground at most, but here is a picture of the entire drain hose that i took off from the firewall nipple to work on the system, all maybe four inches of it:

Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 PM
paw paw
Captain

Sounds like your getting a grip on the problem area, let us know what you find was clogging the drain.
Once you get the drain open you could probably use a good detergent, like Armor All Wheel Cleaner to tidy up the cooling coil & de-mold it, let it dry, or blow it dry with your shop vac, then soak/spray it good with Lysol to kill any fungus or other foul smelling things in the cooling coil, sump & drain, before installing the new fan motor.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM
brucemc777
Rookie

Your most recent post "enlightened" me to a very important consideration.

Hoping to avoid having to figure out if there was a reservoir still containing water, i studied the pictures in the FSM and then i snaked my hand in from the hole where the blower motor once was. There was something rather crunchy where i believe the a/c core should be. Pinching some out i found a collection of dead leaves.

Going to remove the glove box now and see what i can disassemble to get to that and clean it out. The description they give in the FSM of disassembly of the housing starts witha/c and heater lines; i am very hopeful there is a way to get to and remove that lower housing, or at very least allow access to clean out that facing...

Edit: Fairly futile. Like the diagrams showed, all of the screws are accessed from above the housing. Cleared out the debris by hand and going to hit it with Lysol-

Last edited by brucemc777; 06-23-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: As noted-
Old 06-23-2019, 04:46 PM
paw paw
Captain

Try your shop vac with some hose reducers & smaller dia tubing to rig a vacuum appliance to suck the cooler sump clean. You might start from underneath where you removed the rubber extension drain, to open it up there so most of the water can drain out on its own, then vacuum up the remainder of the debris through the blower motor access hole.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 PM
brucemc777
Rookie

Will do, and will advise on outcome-

Looking forward to my next post in this forum,it is going to be a lot more painful i suspect...

Quick Reply: Blower motor fuse blows immediately - 2005 Neon