2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

evaporitive purge solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:53 PM
01 r/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evaporitive purge solenoid

Has anyone had a problem with a loud clicking noise coming from the pully side of the motor. One member wrote "its the evaporitive purge solenoid" or (EPS) ive had mechanics also tell me that it might just be pully noise. Ive heard other neons run quietly yet mine makes this noise that sound like across between a cricket singing and someone opening and closeing a shapr pair of sissors. If anyone has ever replaced a EPS and the noise went away i would like to hear from u or if u just have some helpful suggestions on what it may be. I apreaciate everyones help. please help me i just got this car and i want it to run quietly if possible.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion
Default RE: evaporitive purge solenoid

well describe the sound in intricate detail...On start-up after idling for 20 minutes...on revs...after driving...on a cold day...from a cold start...for evap purge listen above thisyou can usually feel it too...

[IMG]local://upfiles/15699/D76E098ED2184AE6817A8B6928EE09A0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-29-2005, 01:42 AM
01 r/t

nah i looked, on the 01 r/t there is no evap rightthere just solid hoses and ac lines. I think its just belt noise cause the belts on it look like originals. But i cant decide on doing the belts or getting a new noseclip because when the car came from the auction lot the dumbass towtruck driver let the noseclip grab and it took the right side of it with it. So i got an estimate for 250 bucks for new clip and painted. So help me decide the car has 95k on it belts or noseclip?

Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

belts are cheap...$9.00 for alt and $11 for V-belt just replace em if you think they need it...its not to uncommon but could be ac compressor clicking if your defrost button is on turn it off see if that helps some...it puts car under a load. I dont think a front clip would be making clicking noise more like tapping...

Old 12-30-2005, 02:13 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: highrevr/tflea

well describe the sound in intricate detail...On start-up after idling for 20 minutes...on revs...after driving...on a cold day...from a cold start...for evap purge listen above thisyou can usually feel it too...

[IMG]local://upfiles/15699/D76E098ED2184AE6817A8B6928EE09A0.jpg[/IMG]
Thats not the evap solinoid. I am not sure where it is on the 2nd gen, but its a little solinoid with vacum lines on it.

Old 01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Its all on a vaccum w/ evaporitive emissions, Casper. I was always under the impression that this was the EVAP Purge b/c it was where the clicking occured. The description in my Haynes manual led me to believe so. Although I could have confused it w/ a vent solenoid or the LDP solenoid. I am not quite sure as how the system utilizes all the pieces I just threw it out there because I thought that is what it was. Everyone knows here how the PCV valve plays a role in the process. We should probably make the evaporitive Emissions a Neon STICKY. If you dont mind, Casper. We can all make a note of it, that way if we run into the problem, we will be sure to diagnose it correctly. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 AM
casper
Legend

I take that back, I just took another look at the pic. That is the evaporative soliniod. I am sorry for any confusion. It is the round piece in between the blue wire loom and the AC hose with the 2 wire plug. I didn't even see it in the pic, until the second look, sorry again

Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

okay, thats cool.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:40 AM
01 r/t

okay so witch one is it the EPC or the powersteering pully. Obviously u guys know alot about neons not considering u both have the gen 1 neon i have the Gen 2 neon and its an R/T. Anywhoo i think its pully noise because the noise accelerates with the motor. There for i guess im ****ed with a noisey pully. ****ing need more imput please.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 AM
casper
Legend

if it changes with RPM it is 100% not the solinoid. Go for the pulley. The gen 1 and 2 are no different other than motor layout. If you wanna test this theory, take the PS belt off and see if you still have a noise.

Quick Reply: evaporitive purge solenoid