2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

I need a new shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
trixiegotspd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a new shifter...

my shifter sucks, just brought home an '03 SXT and the shifter is like mash potatoes. Anybody have any thoughts on a new one, something tighter? So far Mopar seems to be the concensus....

thanks

~ Jes

Old 02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: I need a new shifter...

The Mopar short throw shifter is available from Howell Automotive. This alone will not fix your problem, it's shift linkage bushings. A cheap alternative would be to simply replace those before you go putting a whole new shifter in. You can pick a set of Booger Bushings for cheap at your local car parts store. You'll end up replacing the bushings wether you replace the shifter or not, but I'd go with the bushings first before you make a purchase that isn't necessary.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:13 PM
BDM
Veteran

ORIGINAL: whyte69

The Mopar short throw shifter is available from Howell Automotive. This alone will not fix your problem, it's shift linkage bushings. A cheap alternative would be to simply replace those before you go putting a whole new shifter in. You can pick a set of Booger Bushings for cheap at your local car parts store. You'll end up replacing the bushings wether you replace the shifter or not, but I'd go with the bushings first before you make a purchase that isn't necessary.
I'd do exactly what he said if it was me lol :P

Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
meredithscaulk

Just get the bushings. They are a piece of cake to change out, and will definately make it feel better. i changed mine a few days ago, and it is night and day.. All of the play i had in the shifter is gone.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 PM
SupermanNeon
Professional

Anyone know where i can get an aftermarket ATX shifter?? I Want to do a MTX swap but i dont have the money for it right this min..but till then i thought i could just dress my car up alittle. Thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 05:35 AM
camlen1098
Professional

ORIGINAL: SupermanNeon

Anyone know where i can get an aftermarket ATX shifter?? I Want to do a MTX swap but i dont have the money for it right this min..but till then i thought i could just dress my car up alittle. Thanks
Look on ebay....I believe they have a few white carbon fiber ones....'ats where I got mine...

Old 09-23-2006, 02:17 PM
SupermanNeon
Professional

ORIGINAL: camlen1098

ORIGINAL: SupermanNeon

Look on ebay....I believe they have a few white carbon fiber ones....'ats where I got mine...
I looked and i wasnt able to find 1 for a 2000 dodge neon..I found plenty for other cars and a few universale 1's.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Thats the link to 1 of the universale 1's sorry for some reason i couldnt set the link..My internet might be alittle off today..If the button on this new 1 is located on top how will it work when the button on my neon is in the front? Thanks

Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 PM
camlen1098
Professional

this shifter should work fine......the button on your OEM one pushes down but it is just angled so you push from the back(horizontally) but it works the same.....

Old 09-24-2006, 04:54 AM
SupermanNeon
Professional

Thx !!

Quick Reply: I need a new shifter...