2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

cd-r skipping in stock cd-player

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
cgilroy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cd-r skipping in stock cd-player

Well, I just bought a 05 SXT in Jan and I love it. The only thing I know of that was wrong with it, was it was leaking AF bad, I was filling the resevoir once a week (it was almost empty), so took it back the first time, bottom hose clamp (radiator side), was fine for about a week or so then it started leaking again. Took it back, bottom hose clamp (engine side).

Funny thing, since it was a new car the dealer thought I just wanted free AF and kept saying "it must be burping". I laughed it off, but after the 4th or 5th time, it got annoying. Finally they fixed it (I THINK) last week, and guess what... it hasnt "burped" yet. Resevoir it at the exact same level it was when I got it back (when the AF is hot of course).

Anyway, my problem is, no matter what cd-r's I try, it seems like the stock cd-player doesn't want to play them right. Constantly skipping, I know its not the cd, nor the burn itself since it works fine anywhere else.

I've heard of quite a few storeys of people saying a lot of the newer cd-players have a hard time playing cd-r's for some reason. Has anyone had any of these problems, anything work to fix it? (different brand of cd-r maybe?)

Overall I love the car, and can't wait for the warm weather to have time to work on it.

EDIT: I know I can easily buy a deck and slap it in, but since the car is only 2 months old, I'm not voiding the warranty.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 AM
hlfbck20
Professional
Default RE: cd-r skipping in stock cd-player

the cd player may not be cd-r/mp3 compatible

Old 02-28-2006, 02:01 AM
whyte69
Veteran

I had problems with my 5 disc in-dash player on my '00 Neon. Installing an aftermarket deck shouldn't void your warranty as long as the deck doesn't interfere with any other systems. If they can prove that the installation or proper usage of said device/part interferes or damages another system, that's when it will void your warranty. My new deck works GREAT with all types of CD's no matter the type, burned or otherwise. I bought a pretty cheap system and I love it, not a skip since installation.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 AM
hlfbck20
Professional

i agree that the new deck shouldnt void the warranty but i think it has to be installed professionally.. i think that would make it safe...

Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 AM
BDM
Veteran

I've never had any problems with burnt (normal non-mp3) cds in the stock or aftermarket cd player for that matter.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:05 AM
casper
Legend

The only warenty that an aftermarket deck is gonna void is the warenty on the stock radio and speaker. Oh no what are you gonna do, lol

Old 02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: cgilroy

Anyway, my problem is, no matter what cd-r's I try, it seems like the stock cd-player doesn't want to play them right. Constantly skipping, I know its not the cd, nor the burn itself since it works fine anywhere else.

I've heard of quite a few storeys of people saying a lot of the newer cd-players have a hard time playing cd-r's for some reason. Has anyone had any of these problems, anything work to fix it? (different brand of cd-r maybe?)

Overall I love the car, and can't wait for the warm weather to have time to work on it.

EDIT: I know I can easily buy a deck and slap it in, but since the car is only 2 months old, I'm not voiding the warranty.
What brand of CD's are you trying? I've seen this happen on several people's cars. Usually, it's one or two brands of cd's that the CD player will like. Try getting some of the white labeled Memorex Music CD-R's. Those seem to work really well for alot of people.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:56 AM
cgilroy

I've used the "Black" Memorex cd-r's, which i love for everything. I also bought Maxell CD-R Music Pro (praying it would work lol). I will try the white label Memorex though.

Well, I figured they could say, "Oh, you installed (or had installed) a aftermarket deck, thats why your ECM (insert any electrical part here) burned up", we'll fix it, but your warranty wont cover it.

Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: cgilroy

I've used the "Black" Memorex cd-r's, which i love for everything. I also bought Maxell CD-R Music Pro (praying it would work lol). I will try the white label Memorex though.

Well, I figured they could say, "Oh, you installed (or had installed) a aftermarket deck, thats why your ECM (insert any electrical part here) burned up", we'll fix it, but your warranty wont cover it.
The black memorex cds are the worst when it comes to car cd players. They just dont seem to like them much. Least the stock cd players. The white label ones have usually worked for me when someone's skipped or wouldnt play.

One other thing you could try, is to have the cd player checked. It may be malfunctioning.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:36 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Mine plays burned cds. No probs here. Think most my burned cds are TDKs......

Quick Reply: cd-r skipping in stock cd-player