2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

tti or pacesetter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 PM
04ryanR/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tti or pacesetter???

looking at headers next since the Jet 2 turned out to be a boo hoo...

im pretty sure i want the short tubes...because if i understand correctly the longer tubes would require deleting the cat and would brobably be a bitch to install (im planning on installing everything myself) i also want to keep my cat so i can pass emissions

anyways which one would you guys go for...if i dont get any of the coatings and just go with the basic model...theyre each close to $150

http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...PROD&ProdID=56

http://www.modernperformance.com/dcx/neonhdr1.shtml

thanks in advance for your opinions

Old 03-02-2006, 12:09 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tti or pacesetter???

i dont know how they would be for your year, but just be careful, i got a pacesetter header for my 98 and they give you this crappy flange you have to weld on your exhaust pipe, after you cut about 6 inches off. te flange didnt work very good and i always had a bad exhaust leak, then the flange rusted through after less then a year. so i recently took the flange off and welded a 3 inch pipe to the header that will hook to the pipe. now it wont leak at all. just F.Y.I.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 AM
lblackneon
Champion

I've never had to go to that extent with my Pacesetter header.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

my pace setter header on my 02 was just fine, and have had no problems with mine

Old 03-02-2006, 03:04 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then mine is just junk.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
leadspud
Professional

I would check out the OBX stainless steal header. I have seen pacesetters. Not real impressed with them.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM
04ryanR/T

the obx stainless wont fit my year and model....well model rather

Old 03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
04ryanR/T

when i replace the stock manifold with the pacesetters...will there be a significant loss in backpressure...and if so wont that cause a loss in what little torque that we have??

i spoke with a mechanic at a place i hear installs bolt ons and he said they would install it for around 80 if they dont break my stock bolts...that seems kinda steep but i dont think i can do it myself because it looks like its impossible to get at from the bottom let alone the top....anyone put on their pacesetters theirselves??

also where the headers collect on the pacesetter there are only two holes for two bolts....and i see where the 02 housing on the stock parts match up to the stock manifold there are 4 bolts...???

HELP!?!?!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

One of the main reasons for going to a header is you get to lose backpressure... ideally there should be none. And no, it won't cause a torque loss.

Installing a shorty header isn't all that hard. Remove the stock airbox and whatever else is in the way up top, that's the easiest way. But $80 isn't all that bad for a complete install. There's no reason they should break any of the bolts, it's not like they're going to rust on there.. And a portion of the piping above the cat will have to be cut off and the new 2-bolt adapter for the header welded on. That alone is worth the $80. I did mine myself (1st gen) in about 3 hours, start to finish. But I had the new cat welded on before the install, then paid $20 to weld the rest up to the stock piping.

Best of luck!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

i did my own header on my car, but it was alot different because i put it on with my cylinderhead, but it was not that bad accually if you get the bolts from the top you can drop it out threw the bottom, it makes it alot easyier if you have a lift, honestly 80 is not that bad if you do not have access to a lift!!!

Quick Reply: tti or pacesetter???