2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:56 PM
tredici13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or supercharger?

I am toying with the idea of adding some big time HP to my Neon. Most of my friends are recommending a turbo kit, however I am still a bit uncertain of them. My mechanic told me a supercharger was the best way to go. He said it was cheaper and less of a headache then a turbo. I need opinions from you guys! What do you think is best? Thanks is advance for your help.

P.S. I know there is still a lot of work to do to my car before I consider this next step, just planning ahead.

Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Neonsxt
Professional
Default RE: Turbo or supercharger?

do they make a supercharger for our cars??? never saw one...

Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
tredici13

that was going to be my next question neonsxt... i have never seen one either... does anyone know of a supercharger for our neons?

Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 AM
AndyNmandy

they have these 12v super chargers on Ebay for like 170 lol. my broter bought the kit for his ford ranger, it does make an improvement when needed but its just funny

Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 PM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

Eaton toyed with the idea of making a supercharger kit for the Neon some time ago. They even got on one of the bigger Neon forums to get thoughts, ideas, potential test cars, etc. They gave up after a few months when it was clear they couldn't touch a turbo for the price. For a bolt-on kit to make 190-200 HP on the stock bottom end (the most they said they could make reliably), they were looking at somewhere in the $5-7k range. Ridiculous said we, and goodbye said they.

Remember, a supercharger takes 30-50% of the power it "makes" just to turn itself, where a turbo uses 5-15% at most, and that's just when spooling up... Once a turbo is spooled, there is virtually no loss.

No one makes a s/c kit for the Neon, no one probably will. But people were designing and building their own turbo systems before kits were readily available (and many still prefer the DIY method for the money). So if you're up for figuring out a way to mount and drive a supercharger (properly sized, of course, for your HP needs), and can work out all the oil supply, fuel control, etc., then have at it. It's been done before, it can be done again.

There is a s/c kit for the PT Cruiser. Tons more room under their hood though, and the intake manifold setup is a bit different... Maybe with some work, and a good welder, you could patch something together?

Best of luck!

Old 04-09-2006, 03:59 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Didnt the SRT concept have a supercharger in it? I remember when Dodge unveiled the SRT-4 concept in late 2001 it was just a Neon R/T with a supercharger in it...but yes there are no s/c for us at te moment, and there never will be. Oh and what RadarLove said is totally true and i couldnt have said it better myself. Oh and if you do build your own kit you'll save lots of money compared the Hahns or Chill Factor Kits.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
AndyNmandy

If those cheap supercharge kits on ebay work for other vehicles do you think it would be safe to run it on my wifes neon? it needs a new intake away but I wanna keep the stock air filter box and just run with no top, im afraid of water getting into the air filter sense all it does is rain where i live.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWDVW i know im prolly going to get bashed for even asking but it was just curiosity

Old 04-09-2006, 08:56 PM
nicks2kes
Veteran

i would jsut turbo charge it best bang for ur buck. please tell me u have manual transmission.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: AndyNmandy

they have these 12v super chargers on Ebay for like 170 lol. my broter bought the kit for his ford ranger, it does make an improvement when needed but its just funny
If those cheap supercharge kits on ebay work for other vehicles do you think it would be safe to run it on my wifes neon? it needs a new intake away but I wanna keep the stock air filter box and just run with no top, im afraid of water getting into the air filter sense all it does is rain where i live.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...spagenameZWDVW i know im prolly going to get bashed for even asking but it was just curiosity
They are garbage!!!!!!!!! They don't work, there is no gains, they are a waste of money!!!!!!!!!! They do not flow as much air as your motor and are actually a hiderance to HP. If they worked don't you think everyone would have one????????

Old 04-10-2006, 06:08 PM
AndyNmandy

I was just asking man, I know my friend has something that looks similar to that on his ranger and he did gain from it.....

Quick Reply: Turbo or supercharger?