2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Water water water, and more water

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:30 AM
MoparMan00
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water water water, and more water

Ok, so i bought a 2000 plymouth neon lx, 5spd. 2.0 dohc. i am the 3rd owner now, and i just the other day, being a new driver, decided to look at the spare tire compartment, and there was about an inch of standing water. so i took out the tire and empied my trunk, took out the trunk liner(after useing a wet vac to get out the water) and i was pleased to se no rust, so i got the body in there cleaned, drie... and i drove to my dads house, when we got there it was wet again, we went through no water and it wasnt raining. and on the way home, my step mom noticed the back floor mat areas were wet, the floor under the floor mats was soaked. so we used a 200 mph leaf blower and towels to dry it and re-dry the trunk, then we left a fan in the car over-night, it was still damp the next morning, after school i left my doors open at my house to air out the floor some more. its pretty dry now, anyone else had a similar prob.?? i think the next time its raining ill go for a drive with someone in the backseat with one folded down to look and see where the water comes from. the car has not been wrecked, and i dont think it had been submerged in water. i think it may be getting water from underneath the car when driving in rain, because my trunk in side was not really wet, only in one spot.thanks in advance..

-MoparMan00

Old 05-05-2006, 01:40 AM
Topher
Default RE: Water water water, and more water

I had a very similar problem with a 94 cavalier except I didnt water in the trunk. I solved the problem by drilling hole in the floor of the back seat where the water would build up. Im guess you dont want to take that route but it since the waters getting in from the trunk you probably just have a bad trunk seal. The actual body itself is just one big hollow frame of spot welded steel so chances are the water in the trunk is coming from somewhere close to it. I would think maybe the rear window or the trunk, worst case the weld line along the roof. I would use some colored water and poor it in different spots of the car to try and see where its coming from.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need new taillight gaskets...if you pull out the taillight, there is a foam gasket on the back of it...either get new ones and replace them or get new ones and double them up...then reinstall

Old 05-05-2006, 10:47 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The rear tail-lights leak and there is also a body seam that leaks.......here's a couple of threads about it....

https://dodgeforum.com/m_325422/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_334083/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_383084/tm.htm

Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
MoparMan00
Veteran

Thanks for all the tips and info, I'll prob. check into looking at the taillights. i don't think its coming from the rear window... and i might consider the holes in the floor, but i would rather find the problem then fix it as opposed to just fixing the rear floor itself, and the hole might not fix it completely. thanks
-MoparMan00

Old 05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
MoparMan00
Veteran

So, i found the leak, it is right between the rear window and the trunk,under the trunk lid itself and its the gasket that goes all around the trunk opening.i might replace it, but im not sure. any ideas on how to fix it, or what it would cost to replace it?? click on the pic below to see what i mean.

[IMG]local://upfiles/34493/D8AA1CEA7F314EC581285412533AAFDA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2006, 04:57 AM
cure4lazyness

would it be condinsation???(sp)

Quick Reply: Water water water, and more water