2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:11 AM
varanus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap?

I have an 05 neon se and was wondering if it is possible to swap in an srt engine and computer and mate it to my auto tranny ( my wife had a hip replacement and cant bend her leg enought to drive a stick). Also concidering a possible swap to a 2000-2002 engine and computer. For that matter would it be possible to just swap the computer from an 02 to my car seeing as i believe they are the same engines .I know the computer in this car won't let us really upgrade our cars so i was wondering if anybody really sees any performance gains with all these parts they put on there 03-05's. I don't really need to go any faster than the 175kph i have gotten it but i want better off the line performace rather than top speed. Any info on any of these questions would be great thanks.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine swap?

Well first off, you cannot simply swap in a 01-02 computer into an 03-05 because the plugs and sensors are very very different. As far as the SRT swap, you can use the automatic tranny out of a PT turbo, rather than the 5-speed tranny. For the SRT sweep you'll need the following parts:

Engine and Tranny
Complete Engine Wiring Harness
Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness
Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler
Intercooler Piping
Intercooler
Radiator Hoses
Motor Mounts (the holes are larger on the the upper and lower mounts for larger bolts)
SRT PCM (wont' need the bracket with 03+)
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Coolant Bottle
Fuel Line from tank to engine bay
Fuel Pump
Flex Fuel line from solid fuel line to fuel rail
Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve
All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids
o2 Sensors
Turbo Housing + o2 Housing
Lower Control Arms

You coul swap into a 01-02 R/T or reglar engine and computer, but for a few extra you might as well go for the SRT swap...hope that answered your questions somewhat.

Quick Reply: engine swap?