2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How to get better acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:00 PM
chaines223
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get better acceleration?

I have a 2003 neon which has a 4.5 inch muffler an a AEM intake. But i was wondering how to get better pick-up and acceleration out of it.

Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Default RE: How to get better acceleration?

Check this out.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_298809/tm.htm

I'd also get rid of that 4.5 inch muffler and get a good cat-back exhaust system.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker
Default RE: How to get better acceleration?

Well, he didnt explain why you should remove the 4.5 inch muffler or the reason we insist on catback exhuast systems, i will do that for you.

To gain performance out of a car, you must insist on a free flowing exhuast system. While people think of the "bigger the better" policy, its not the case for cars. Moderation is critical in making sure your exhuast is making peak performance. Most people with big engine cars or big HP cars like to step it up to a 2.5 inch piping and maybe a 3 inch exhuast outlet. But the stock neon 2.25 inch piping is good enough for a fairly stock neon you dont have to worry about it too much. If your looking for a cheap way, pick up a dual exhuast muffler. The stock one is i beleive restricted fown to 2.0 inches. That quarter of an inch is enough to pick up a few ponies without spending 500 bucks. To see the best gain overall, you should go ahead and purchase the Borla Exhuast peice.

Now, to explain further, if you go ahead and pick up an exhuast set that is too big for your car, you dont cause enough back pressure and your engine... well lets leave it at its not good. So, the 4.5 inch muffler? Too big of a jump.

Most people dont like them due to the rediculous noise and lack of performance, others just hate them cuz they look ugly. SO! its up to you on removing the 4.5 inch muffler and getting a new one.

On the flip side, we will help answer any question you might have, whether it has been asked previously or not.

Quick Reply: How to get better acceleration?