2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2002 man. trans. stick has alot of play. SHIFTING FORK BROKE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:56 AM
BOWTIE BADASS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 man. trans. stick has alot of play. SHIFTING FORK BROKE?

i've got a 2002 neon w/a man trans. i can only shift between 2nd & 3rd. gear box has a great deal of play in it. this happened all of a sudden today, i made a sharp left turn @ approx 20 - 25 mph., it acts like some sort of retainer pin fell out or something like that happened. is this possible? i'm thinking the problem area is accessible by removing the console to expose the top of the trans. and gear box, thus revealing the problem. just a hunch, correct me if i'm wrong. thank you. BOWTIE BADASS[sm=gears.gif] A FRIEND JUST SUGGESTED IT COULD BE EITHER A BROKEN SHIFTING FORK OR POSSIBLY BAD SYNCROS. IF HE'S CORRECT I'VE GOT ALOT OF WORK AHEAD OF ME! LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE DROPPING A TRANSMISSION & MY PANTS![sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 07-18-2006, 03:47 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: 2002 man. trans. stick has alot of play. SHIFTING FORK BROKE?

Check the cables. Could be bushings on the linkage as well. Check by the shifter and on the trans itself. If those look fine its probably something within the tranny or something with your shifter itself.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:50 PM
BOWTIE BADASS
Default RE: 2002 man. trans. stick has alot of play. SHIFTING FORK BROKE?

thanks low slow,i'll take a look. by the way i'm orig from mich. kalamazoo, battle creek areas. although been in az. since 1980. the waether is much warmer, but the people are mucho lighter! if you know what i mean. thanks again BOWTIE BADASS[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: 2002 man. trans. stick has alot of play. SHIFTING FORK BROKE?