2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

AEM CAI ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 PM
dragon8master
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM CAI ?

Does anybody here actually have this intake in their Neon? My wife crunched her stock airbox when she hit a really BIG deer, so i replaced it with the AEM CAI. If anyone else here has one, how did it affect the volume level from your front end? Mine sounds almost normal until around 3k rpms, then it starts to roar. By about 6300 rpm (where i usually shift when i'm in a hurry), it sounds like Lightning McQueen from the movie Cars. Does this seem normal to you guys?

Oh, by the way, I didn't know that the 6+/- horsepower that AEM advertises for this application would make as much difference as it did. This was the best $210 I ever spent on a car part!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: AEM CAI ?

Yeah that sound increase is totally normal, i have the K&N Typhoon ($200 as well) and it is one of the better mods to have, along with the first mod almost everyone does to their Neons. On R/T's you really notice the sound differnce because of the secondaries in the intake manifold, but i couldnt say how much louder it makes a regular Neon. But remember, once you start modding a Neon, you never, ever stop...(or a least you shouldnt stop. lol)

Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Acrfanatic
Professional

yeah i have the aem intake. It makes a total volume difference. I love the whistling noise it makes....AHH I LOVE THAT SOUND!! At higher rpms it definately changes the sound difference though.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 AM
Somethingdirty
Professional

+1 Acr. The sucking and loud *** roaring noises are awesome.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM
dragon8master
Professional

So it's all normal......good. I just wanted to be sure I didn't have something loose/vibrating.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
hlfbck20
Professional

i'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the loss or the resonator...which was that big black piece just chillen in the fender...from what i was told that deadens some of the sound..

Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
timplett
Veteran

The resonator on my Neon got busted off recently (got jumped by a telephone pole) and I haven't bothered replacing it. I notice a slight noise difference but nothing like what you guys have been talking about. I'm assuming that it gets a whole lot louder yet with the CAI.