2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

just a question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
hlfbck20
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a question...

would it be easier to swap the engine... or just drop the whole tranny with the engine.. i have 3 cherry pickers but i dont have a lift .. so im just wondering what would be my best bet.. thanks

Old 08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: just a question...

i think it would be easier to sway the tranny and engine at the same time but they need to be taken out from under the car not pulled up out of it so you kinda need a lift

Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM
hlfbck20
Professional

but the main question im asking.. is , is it feasable to pull the engine out from the engine bay instead of dropping it?.. bc all thats left of my origional engine is the block.. everything else is off...

Old 08-22-2006, 04:59 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to lift it out, as long as everything is disconnected and ready to go.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
timplett
Veteran

Well it is easier to drop the engine out the bottom, almost always is with new cars, so my question is, could you not use a couple cherry pickers to lift the front of the car over the engine? This might not be practical, I've always had a lift to use, so it's not like I've tried it. If you do, keep your doors closed, it will make the unibody a lot more rigid while you pick the front end up.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 AM
fastloudfzr

jack the car way up and put it on cynder blocks hook up the cherry picker to the motor and trans then put some tension on it ,undo the motor mounts and the trans mount then lower it out the bottom trust me you dont wanna take it out the top its a pain, thats what i tryed first and it doesnt wanna happen also take motor and trans out and install while together its a lot easier but all this is from my own experience so its on you

Old 08-23-2006, 03:33 PM
fraggle_a
Professional

From the look, its possible to pull the engine out of the top, as long as its ready to go.
But I wouldnt fancy trying to drop a new one in from the top.

I ran into all kinda of problems with the Saturn. Stupid peice of carp it was, but still....

Iv not really begun to get familiar with the Dodge engine though, but at first glance... up and out looks possible, but down and in looks like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Maybe lift the engine out.
Then lift the front of the car and drop it onto the new engine??

Old 08-23-2006, 04:49 PM
timplett
Veteran

I would suggest doing what fastloudfzr suggested except for one thing. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use cinder blocks to hold your car up. They are BRITTLE! They will crumble, and the car will fall. Someone I know was working under their car, the blocks gave out and it fell on him. He survived but because he lost so much air while under the car his brain swelled up and he now has permanent brain damage. He is always in a wheelchair and cannot talk. His parents have to feed him. Saving money on not buying jackstands is NOT worth it. Buy jackstands. Make sure that they are sitting flat and stable on solid ground and that they are place on a flat, solid part of the car so that there is no chance of it slipping off. DO IT RIGHT.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
camlen1098
Professional

ORIGINAL: timplett

I would suggest doing what fastloudfzr suggested except for one thing. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use cinder blocks to hold your car up. They are BRITTLE! They will crumble, and the car will fall. Someone I know was working under their car, the blocks gave out and it fell on him. He survived but because he lost so much air while under the car his brain swelled up and he now has permanent brain damage. He is always in a wheelchair and cannot talk. His parents have to feed him. Saving money on not buying jackstands is NOT worth it. Buy jackstands. Make sure that they are sitting flat and stable on solid ground and that they are place on a flat, solid part of the car so that there is no chance of it slipping off. DO IT RIGHT.
I totally agree......spend the money to buy jackstands....really it is much much safer. Plus stands really are not all that expensive especially when you are lookin at the price of swappin out the whole engine and tranny, if the car were to fall during instal it would cost a hell of alot more to fix it from the fall cuz inevitably something expensive would get smashed.....which could include you...

Old 08-23-2006, 11:55 PM
timplett
Veteran

Yes, in the instance of my friend, compare the cost of the jackstands with hospital costs and then being mentally handicapped the rest of your life. I think I'd rather buy jackstands.

Quick Reply: just a question...