ebay CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ebay CAI question

i have a K & N typhoon on my srt. it is interchangable between a true CAI and a short ram (for winter or monsoon application). an I have never sucked up any "puttles". granted i wouldnt try driving through a covered roadway or flooded area (no matter how shallow it appeared). of course this is good practice no matter what. if you use the car regularly i would go with one that is able to be used as a CAI or short ram intake.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:29 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

I thought there was a part that goes in-line with the intake, mounted with hose clamps, that deals with the water problem?
Friend of mine had a Sentra SE-R and put an intake with one of these, said it was incase a bunch of water got suckked in...but...(having a brain-fart) can't remember the name of the part[:@]

Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Somethingdirty
Professional

I'm thinking bypass valve.
It MIGHT be a worthy investment to put on when it's really crappy outside, and take it off when it's not so terrible.

Remember that it just about kills any HP gains from your intake, and with a standard cold air...
chances are your not going to be sucking water in unless you drive through two feet of standing water.

I'm not planning on bothering with one.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
R/Tconvert
Rookie

Me neither. I'm happy where the filter is now. It may get misted when following another vehicle in a clost situation but that's about it. If it gets submerged I have bigger problmes. I have driven it now. Sounds pretty good. I doubt my gas mileage will increase since you have to burn some gas to enjoy new music. My next mod will likely be the mopar shifer. Any comments there?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

My next mod will likely be the mopar shifer. Any comments there?
The Mopar STS is awesome.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:23 AM
hlfbck20
Professional

dont bother with a bypass valve waste of money.. and i never had a problem with my intake in the snow, i mean yeah it got caked with snow but it never really made a difference

Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
R/Tconvert
Rookie

Well, we had a real gully washer this morning here in south-west Ohio. I hit some pretty deep spots with the left side front. I was on the road that is frequented by the big over the road concrete trucks and they have made some pretty deep impressions in the pavment where the water was pooling. I think this was just about worst case for water in my area. Got to work and reached under to find the filter was damp all the way around. Disapointed that it's wet but I don't think anything serious will result. I will probably clean this one more often than the under the hood one in my old car. I think a bypass valve is completely un-neccessary with this application. Maybe if you had a scoop hanging out from under the bumper and the car was lowered but not with the element in the fender.
On a way positive note: I love the sound! It makes some strange noises comming off idle or with minor thorttle changes and kind of whisles a little at certain positions, but at WOT, wow. That sounds soooo cool. If there was any question as to weather the intake diverter is working correctly, there isn't now. Sounds so good when it opens the long runners and 5K (a bit like V-tec) I'm way happy with my 50 doller intake!

Old 09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

I'm also happy with a cheapy I got off the bay. I opted for the short ram (that is what this is, right?) and even tho it's inside the engine bay, I still get a nice throaty sound when I get on it off a stop light. Not that worried about suckin in the engine bay air, since this is the only engine mod I have right now, not like I'm racing or anything.
was very easy to install and the construction looks good... was thinkin I shoulda got the K & N filter option cuz the filter is red and my car is red, but it still would have come with a blue boot and now I kinda like the contrasting color...may do more blue under the hood in the future!... by the way, got this for like $8.99 with $19.99 shipping.

..one other thing, anything to worry about that there is really no mount for these? seems fine just laying on the fender, and I don't see any way to secure it any better unless I made some custom mounts...like I said, no racing or anything, just a daily driver...

Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 AM
billyjoe

Man I love the way that one looks..... Do you rember where you got it from, or any info on how I could search and find it. That is the kind I was looking for, I have only been able to find the long ones that youhave to put in the weel well..

Thanks

ORIGINAL: Pablodragon

I'm also happy with a cheapy I got off the bay. I opted for the short ram (that is what this is, right?) and even tho it's inside the engine bay, I still get a nice throaty sound when I get on it off a stop light. Not that worried about suckin in the engine bay air, since this is the only engine mod I have right now, not like I'm racing or anything.
was very easy to install and the construction looks good... was thinkin I shoulda got the K & N filter option cuz the filter is red and my car is red, but it still would have come with a blue boot and now I kinda like the contrasting color...may do more blue under the hood in the future!... by the way, got this for like $8.99 with $19.99 shipping.

..one other thing, anything to worry about that there is really no mount for these? seems fine just laying on the fender, and I don't see any way to secure it any better unless I made some custom mounts...like I said, no racing or anything, just a daily driver...

Old 09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Pablodragon
All Star

the e-bay sellers name was 'chromeintakes'... just do a search for that exact name. go to his store and just search his stuff for "neon". make sure you look at all the items, cuz he has the same item at different prices sometimes

ORIGINAL: billyjoe

Man I love the way that one looks..... Do you rember where you got it from, or any info on how I could search and find it. That is the kind I was looking for, I have only been able to find the long ones that youhave to put in the weel well..

Thanks

Quick Reply: ebay CAI question