2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil in spark plug hole

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like some cleanup needs to be done and some new tubes and seals...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM
ninhalo5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

....and it gets better. the same idiot super glued the old tube gaskets in place. guess I'll run down to a junk yard and get me another valve cover and tubes. ugh

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
neonftw87
Professional

replace engine?? where did you get that... Ok, the silicone is a bad idea, ive seen many people try to use this and gasket sealer, but what they dont understand is the gaskets are rubber.... they dont need this silicone garbage.. ok you wiggled the tubes they are not moving, then thats good.

Now, where is the oil on the spark plugs, is it on the threads and lower? or is it above the threads...

If it is below the threads, the oil is in your cylinders, if above, then the seals on your valve cover would most likely be the problem. unless there are holes in the tubes themselves...

on the flip side of your valve cover are the seals for the spark plug tubes, they are a bear to get out cause like ohno2.0 said, they do swell, and they also harden... so youll prolly have to just keep digging till you get them out...

replace these, and see if it helps..

Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM
neonftw87
Professional

didnt see the 3rd page lol, darth is right, some hardcore cleanup, and i would say go ahead and get new tubes and ****... somoene apparently doesnt know what maintence means...

who would use superglue on a valve cover....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
blueproracer

the tubes do loosen with age. that is the one design flaw of the head. if they are loose or leak, the valve cover needs to be removed. remove the tubes with the spark plugs in, so that no debrise falls in engine. the tubes will pull out with force. clean the tubes and clean out holes. you should also try to scape the walls of holes. try a shop vac or if you have air blow out the hole. you need to purchase what i believe is indian head. it is a sealant that is with all the others like rtv in the auto store.the bottle is brown with a indian on it. then just meduim coat the outside of tube. it should then slip in easily fush with the bottom. you the can let dry then replace cover or you can try to put cover on before it dries. that way it dries in position.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Bomeister

is there a trick to taking out those spark plug tube seals under the valve cover? i've been trying to pry one of them out and have basically mangled it in the process. i'm afraid if i keep trying to dig at it that i will damage the cover itself. any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Oil in spark plug hole