2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

just have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
tyler819
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just have a question

is a resonator the same thing as the glassback ur talkin about? Because i no my exhaust has dual resonators already which makes it sound throaty and not ricey even with the cat off and a single muffler on it. Also which gives u more power: a short ram intake or a cai? i was just wondering because i have and aem cai and i was experimenting with it so i took off the tube that bends down into the fender and just put the filter right on the throttle body but left the rest of the intake on after the tb. I noticed a little maybe no power gain in the high rmp range but it seems more laggy in the lower rpms than the cai did. It sounds a lot louder now though and actually feels like it gives more power, however when the engine gets hot it starts to lose power and gets really laggy. i guess thats from sucking in the hot air from the engine bay.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tyler819

is a resonator the same thing as the glassback ur talkin about? Because i no my exhaust has dual resonators already which makes it sound throaty and not ricey even with the cat off and a single muffler on it. Also which gives u more power: a short ram intake or a cai? i was just wondering because i have and aem cai and i was experimenting with it so i took off the tube that bends down into the fender and just put the filter right on the throttle body but left the rest of the intake on after the tb. I noticed a little maybe no power gain in the high rmp range but it seems more laggy in the lower rpms than the cai did. It sounds a lot louder now though and actually feels like it gives more power, however when the engine gets hot it starts to lose power and gets really laggy. i guess thats from sucking in the hot air from the engine bay.
Resonators and glasspacks are the same concept. What kind of catback exhaiust do you have on that has dual resonators? The stock R/T exhaust didnt have any resonators and only one muffler with two exhaust tips...

As for the CAI vs. Short Ram i would stick with the CAI simply because your still getting that slightly colder air from outside the engine bay. But its doubtfull you would see any major difference switching either way (maybe half a HP difference)...plus i think the polished aluminum CAI looks nicer...

Old 10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
tyler819
Veteran

idk but before it goes to the rear axle it gets bigger for about 5 inches and goes normal size for about 2 inches then goes to another one the same size and then goes over the axle and out the muffler. and wen i talked to the guy at the muffler shop he said that the rt models come with back to back dual resonators that make it sound throaty. Thats just wat he told me. Thanks for the info. i think im gonna put the cai back on this weekend and while i do it im gonna take off the tb and clean it as well then put it all together. Hopefully my new header comes by the weekend so i can put it on. They told me it would take 4 to 5 business days to arrive. I go to an automotive class at a local college and i can useone of their lifts and their tools so it should be easy. Im actually in highschool but i take the class as dual enrollment. Its a good deal, i leave school after 5th hour and then go work on my car and learn about them for like 2 hours then go home.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 PM
04r/t_11
Rookie

My stock 04 R/T exhaust had dual resonators. Now it has none, now it's Mopar/Borla polished cat-back...header soon! Good luck with the SRT pipes, I had just the rear section and it was too nasty! Would have been nice with some bigger resonators maybe, but the stockers weren't doing nothin!

Oh, and it is 2.25" even the Borla is.

Quick Reply: just have a question