2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Washing Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:36 PM
stuff03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing Engine Bay?

I drive on 4 miles of gravel every day to work. About every 4 times i wash my car i like to pop the hood and wash out all of the gravel dust. The car wash in my town has this industrial strength blow dryer that works really well and gets everything real dry in the engine bay. I was wondering if this is still safe or could this frequent of cleaning wash away any lubricants or hurt anything else, and if i am going to wash the engine this often, are there any procedures i should take into consideration after washing such as oiling moving parts ect. Oh and i of course always wash it with the engine cool.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 02:47 PM
mike9fore
Veteran
Default RE: Washing Engine Bay?

Personally, I would think once in a "great" while would be ok.....yet, every (4) days.....It would seem to worry me!

Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 03:01 PM
04 mo neon
All Star

As long as you cover up all the electrical connections like spark plugs and batery you'll be fine, you could wash it everyday for that matter. Just be safe when you do clean it.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM
stuff03
Professional

ORIGINAL: mike9fore

Personally, I would think once in a "great" while would be ok.....yet, every (4) days.....It would seem to worry me!

Mike
I dont wash it every day or every 4 days, i wash the engine bay maybe once a month depending on how dirty it gets, i just like to see a nice clean engine when i open the hood, not some nasty dirty hunk of plastic and metal parts where you cant find anything because its all covered in dirt and sand.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:09 PM
mike9fore
Veteran

My Bad.....We'll then do as my Fellow DF member said and you should be fine......

Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
R/Tconvert
Rookie

I bet I don't open my hood once a month!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 PM
stuff03
Professional

I remember one time i was getting a car alarm installed and they had a mazda or something in the shop too, there was enough dirt and sand all over the engine to make a beach out of. it was horrible, you couldnt even see the writting on the engine, it looked like they dumped oil all over the engine and rolled it in the sand. i hate even when i spill a little bit of oil on the valve cover and it picks up dust, looks horrible.

Quick Reply: Washing Engine Bay?