2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HOW TO INSTALL COILOVERS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 02:18 AM
2kdgneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO INSTALL COILOVERS

I HAVE A 2000 DODGE NEON AND I BOUGHT SOME COILOVERS. I WENT TO PUT THEM ON AND I COULDNT GET THE SPRING OFF? IT SEEMS TO NEED LIKE A SPECIAL SOCKET TO PUT ON THE TOP BECAUSE THERE IS BOLT STICKING UP THAT A 10MM FITS ON. ANY TIPS ON HOW TO TAKE THAT OFF?

Old 11-24-2006, 02:28 AM
GrApHite03
Default RE: HOW TO INSTALL COILOVERS

You can use an impact if you want to remove the top nut but you need to keep the shaft from spinning. Or you can use the following combination of tools. A spark plug socket with the rubber removed, an end wrench to fit the spark plug socket, a ΒΌ" drive ratchet and extension, and a socket that fits over the strut shaft itself.

Compress the spring with the spring compressor. Stick the ¼ drive extension through the spark plug socket and snap on the smaller socket. Put the end wrench over the extension and over the spark plug socket. Attach the ratchet and put the whole thing on the top of the strut assembly. The next step is the tricky part. You have to try to keep the strut shaft from spinning by holding the ratchet still and loosen the top nut with the end wrench. Once the top nut comes completely off, remove top perch and then the spring.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:31 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: HOW TO INSTALL COILOVERS

If you are trying to remove the upper mounts from the old struts to mount the Coil overs too then you need a spring compressor and then either zip them off with an Impact or by wrench you need to remove the top nut.

Then decompress the spring and remove upper mount and install on new Coil-Overs. Install back into car.

If you search around several people came up with ways to get hand wrenches on there if not get an Impact or let a shop tear down the old ones and build the new ones.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM
bigtyme23

i have a 2003 Dodge Neon and was wondering do u need aftermarket struts to put coil overs on???

Old 03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need special struts.

You MUST have the original spring compressed before removing the center nut. Otherwise have a friend video taping so we can see you on Tru TV on "Worlds Dumbest"

Quick Reply: HOW TO INSTALL COILOVERS