2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow driving

it is -3 celcius with a lot of snow and i also have 2 new front tires, my new back ones are coming in january. with 2 grippy tires and 2 baldys its fun driving. and in deep snow it is incredible. its also like im rally dring the 30 yards of my driveway. incredible fun factor

Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 AM
R/Tconvert
Rookie
Default RE: snow driving

What are your new tires / old tires? I think I remember you are north of the border correct? I just got a set of blizzaks on steel wheels (for Ohio) to offset my FM901's for the summer. I may not have any fun in the snow this year. We had some snow last week and I thought "well they seem to be OK but I don't think today is going to be enought to really test them". Then I got to work and was the only one there until about 10am. These things are awsome. Turns a neon into a half track! If I want to have fun I'll just do what we used to do ln college. Pull the back tires onto two cafateria trays and set the parking brake (do this in a parking lot). Then just use your imagination. Should behave sort of like clean sx's car.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was driving one of my old neons a couple years ago that had good tires on the front and bald ones on the back......there was no snow on the road anywhere....but i went around a curve that was also a bridge....little did i know it was all ice....
the car slid sideways and spun me around, while just missin a sign and goin into a 4 foot ditch on the opposite side of the bridge, just past the guard rail.....
be carefull

Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

All my snow melted....[:@] I have a set of hankook winter tires on my car and they are pretty amazing in the snow. Last year I turned into my friends apartment complex and it has a steep hill that was completely iced over. There were cars on the side of the road, cars going sideways, they were all over the place. I stopped at the bottom of the hill and watched while I waited for them to get out of the way. Then from a dead stop I drove straight up the icey hill, I hardly even spun the tires. They're pretty sweet in the snow and ice. Money well spent. Cause I for sure would have wrecked my car by now with my stock tires on there.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

i got hankook winters on the srt (steelie rims
have allseasons on my sxt, bf goodrich traction t/a. got pretty good winter ratings so i went with them. i do have some cooper winters in my basement but no 14" rims to mount them on. they have lots of traction left if anyone in the KC area is interested.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:25 PM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

i got Hankook OptimumH727s all seasons 185/60R15 and my back tires are stock Good year eagle 185/60R15 and they are coming off in january for 2 more hankooks

Old 12-12-2006, 06:38 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yeah, the stock goodyears are ok in dry, but they did OK in the snow last year. but i have had much better as far as snow goes.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
R/Tconvert
Rookie

pin head? did you say steel srt wheels? never heard of that. Yea I can't imagine good snow tires on the front with the worn out good years on the back. That's about like my cafateria tray trick . Here's some pics of my R/T with the "mad max" look on the Bridgestones. Looking forward to using the bilzzaks to there full potential, but will probably take them off tonight and put hte stock 16's back on cause it's nice here!

[IMG]local://upfiles/42666/14D96E7F324D49A694C0477C2D99F561.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42666/A22203D2B359428C9CA4FABBDADBB533.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2006, 01:57 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yeah, people run 15s on the drag stip on SRTs i have seen. they are 15" steel wheels. got 2 of them from a guy locally and ordered 2 more from discounttire.com 32mm offset i believe. they clear the front brakes just fine, but barely. had to go that route cuz im short on cash and still needed new summer tread. bought 4 hankook winters (with bout 1k on them) and 2 rims for $160. then the other two rims were like $95 shipped. so whole snow package i picked up for 255 plus gas to drive down to overland park (other side of KC). not bad if you ask me.
then i got my summers, stock rims and tires for the srt with exactly 700 miles on them off of a guy 10 miles away. he was good enough to buy rims and tires when he first bought them and had the stockers sitting in storage. was moving and needed rid of extra crap. so i was the lucky one at $400 for all 4. so now i have 6 new tires for the SRT, lol i wont be buying tires now for about 2 years

Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
R/Tconvert
Rookie

That's an awesome deal. I bought a set of wheels (and junk tires) off a first gen in the junk yard for $60. Had a friend remove the tires for free. $3 for a can of flat black crylon and a wire brush. I paid $347 for the Blizzaks shipped and $45 to mount them. So my best effort at the snow package cost me more than $450 and I think I have a bent wheel.

Quick Reply: snow driving