2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 se tach install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
jason1981
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 se tach install?

I have a 2005 se neon, i bought an aftermarket tach (since the se doesnt come stock with one). It says im supposed to hook up the tach read wire to the negative side of the coil, but my car doesnt have a seperate coil, the coil/distributor is one unit, there are three wires going into it, (blue, black, green/orange) I tried all three but the tach only reads about 2000rpm when I try to red line it. Is there a tach test wire or extra hook up I need, or is my (glow shift- black 7 series universal tach) not going to work for my car?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:49 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Default RE: 2005 se tach install?

does that tach have any cylinder rating on it, 4-6-8?? if it has a 4 go to that setting, the problem is the coils on a neon only read half the cylinders so you will get only half the rpms you really have, then you will need a tach adaper, BUT if it has a 2 cylinder rating, then you are good just set it a 2 cylinders and the tach will read properly, as for the wiring take a contenuity tester and find out witch one of the wires gives you the signal, when you do that have a friend or someone sit in the car to see if it moves, make sure the rest of the wiring is hooked up first......lol if it only gives you half of the rpms, like about 4-5 hundered then you will have to get an adaper, you can get them at any auto parts store.....good luck

Old 12-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

well, probably too late for you, since you already bought the aftermarket tach... but here is the easiest way to add a tach to a tach-less SE model...I did it and it was easy, plus you get the cool white face SXT gauges...here's the thread...

https://dodgeforum.com/m_557112/tm.htm

Old 12-13-2006, 01:59 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yeah, best way is to just buy the sxt cluster. but sounds like you need the adapter dt is speaking of. autozone will know what your talking about. i had the same problem with a 4/6/8 tach i had for my 01SE

Quick Reply: 2005 se tach install?