2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

going turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
smkn951
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going turbo

Hello everyone,
I used to have a 86 944turbo but i recently got into an accident and totalled it so, insurance declared it a total lost. It was Dynoed at Hockenheim car show last year with 275rwhp.
well now i'm driving the neon and i can't seem to get rid of the boost bug. what precautions do i need to make or modification to the car before i get a turbo kit for it? how much boost can the stock engine handle. Iwas running 18 PSI on the 944t.
Turbo kits available for the SXT, does it come with everything?
ie. intake, exhaust, bov, wastegate, adj fpr, new programmed ecu, injectors, ic, all the necessary harness, etc.?
thanks everyone
"GOT BOOST?"

BTW, i am already looking for a suspension kit and will be upgrading the brakes soon.
i was looking at power slots rotors and i already ordered the pads

now with the kicks for the car, i will not be putting on spinners.
what's the widest i can go all around without rolling the fenders?
thanks again everyone for the input

Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Default RE: going turbo

maybe I'm off base here, but you do know they make the Neon SRT-4 that already has a turbo?

just seems like if u had anything with Porsche in the name, and seems like u did some mods to that, that u might have considered the SRT-4, instead of dropping all the way down to the SXT, then modding up?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

with no engine work you can run 8 lbs safe there are kits but there also a srt turbo thing you can do check teh turbo sticky. you can just swap your motor for a srt engine and trans its a direct fit and even easier for the 03+ models sorry abou your car though

Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

theres nothin wrong with buildin up an sxt. i just reached the price of what i would have paid for a srt4 with about double the power. plus a 86 944 probably only got him a couple grand from the insurence. you can pick up a hahn kit and lay down up to 10psi safely on the bottom. this kit comes ready but i would suggest upgrading a couple things.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:09 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: smkn951

Hello everyone,
I used to have a 86 944turbo but i recently got into an accident and totalled it so, insurance declared it a total lost. It was Dynoed at Hockenheim car show last year with 275rwhp.
well now i'm driving the neon and i can't seem to get rid of the boost bug. what precautions do i need to make or modification to the car before i get a turbo kit for it? how much boost can the stock engine handle. Iwas running 18 PSI on the 944t.
Turbo kits available for the SXT, does it come with everything?
ie. intake, exhaust, bov, wastegate, adj fpr, new programmed ecu, injectors, ic, all the necessary harness, etc.?
thanks everyone
"GOT BOOST?"

BTW, i am already looking for a suspension kit and will be upgrading the brakes soon.
i was looking at power slots rotors and i already ordered the pads

now with the kicks for the car, i will not be putting on spinners.
what's the widest i can go all around without rolling the fenders?
thanks again everyone for the input
First off, read the turbo sticky for some general information, but Hahn Racecraft ($4,000) is the prominent kit on the market at the moment. There is also the custom SRT-4 turbo kit that can be finished from $2,000-$3,000 and works great on stock bottom end. Upgrades that should be done if you want to exceed 8-10psi on a 16g turbo for the bottom end would be lower compression pistons and forged connecting rods...the top end doesn't really have to be changed unless you want to go all out.

You also have to determine your fuel setup. If you plan on only low boost with stock bottom end you can go with a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (RRFPR) and return line to the fuel canister with larger injectors, but if your going higher boost (14psi+) you'll want a 1:1 regulator and some kind of standalone system, i would suggest the MS ECU.

I believe the widest tire that can be put on a Neon before you start getting into fender clearances is 8" wide...largest diameter tire is 19", both of which cannot be achieved unless you have coilover suspension. The best coilovers would be KSport, IPP, TEIN, BC Racing, just to name a few...those coilovers range from $800-$1,500 with many difference prices and variations in between. Other things you would want to upgrade would be bushings and sway bars...the Hotchkis sway bars are the best on the market, and its conceivably the best suspension upgrade by itself for the Neon.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

yea building up a sxt is the way to go its what im doin but it would b cheaper to swap a srt engine in that peice

Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

yup, SRT swap w/ S2 will put you back at where your used to being hp wise, but it will be faster

Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
nicks2kes
Veteran

SRT-4 power rules alllll. the 2nd gear is ungodly and pulls reaaal hard

Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

yeah srt swaps are cool, the only problem is everyone is doin them, i am not out to go smoke an srt, just beat a stock one, i can do it by the end of the winter it will happen, i should be in the low14s or high 13s. you can go the swap is is a good idea if you want to get some serious power!! but if you are looking to get around two hundred horse to the wheels go with a custom turbo setup, in a sohc, if you still have the 944, maybe look into going and using that for your turbo, most of your setup you could use in the neon, i took a turbo off a tbird and built the turbo up from there. peace by peace, i have been doing that for about a year.... good luck

Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 AM
smkn951

thanks for the feed back everyone, this is a great forum.
as far as the purchase goes of the sxt, i bought it for the 'ol lady prior to the accident. she didn't care much for the p-car as she is scared when ther turbo kicks in especially on the autobahn. i told her i'll get her a mini van if i can mess with the car sine i don't have one now.
i've viewed the hanh package, but can't seem to locate any data on how long a mechanically inclined person would do to install it. also what kind od realistic hp am i looking at.

for using parts from the 'old car" i still have a few part to include the turbo(k26) stock and BOV. i sold the rest of the car, but he said i can get whatever parts i need off from it, as he was only interested with the rims (original fuchs). so i'll be stopping by and getting the adj fpr from it, what else would you guys think i can salvage from it?

while on the subject anyone know where a good place or site to get the srt set up?

thanks again

Quick Reply: going turbo