2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

fuel system cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:59 AM
mcfisher666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system cleaning

i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt with 99,891 miles on it. its eating alot of gas and it more than likey the plugs, wires, pcv, ect are gonnna need chaning at 100,000 mark. i was told by a buddy of mine that instead of going to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaning, that i shuld just get a bottle of b12 chemtool injecter cleaner and dump about half a bottle in the gas tank. now from what i hear about this b12 stuff is that it contains a chemical that will eat away rubber over time. so what im asking is is safe to use this b12 chemtool cleaner or would i be better off going back to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaned. Any help would be greatful

Old 01-11-2007, 01:50 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel system cleaning

If you constantly pour it in, then it could eat away the rubber, possibly. But if you use it just to clean the system once, then you should be OK.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: mcfisher666

i have a 2004 dodge neon sxt with 99,891 miles on it. its eating alot of gas and it more than likey the plugs, wires, pcv, ect are gonnna need chaning at 100,000 mark. i was told by a buddy of mine that instead of going to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaning, that i shuld just get a bottle of b12 chemtool injecter cleaner and dump about half a bottle in the gas tank. now from what i hear about this b12 stuff is that it contains a chemical that will eat away rubber over time. so what im asking is is safe to use this b12 chemtool cleaner or would i be better off going back to the dealership to get the fuel system cleaned. Any help would be greatful
First, I wouldn't ever take a car to a dealer or shop to have the fuel system cleaned... it's a lot more money and chances are you won't notice any difference than a $4 bottle of do-it-yourselfer. Also, dumping a bottle of the stuff in your tank is a good idea once in a while, but I would limit it to about every 30,000 miles or so. Gasoline nowadays that is sold in the U.S.A. has almost five times the amount of detergent agents in it as it did ten years ago, so there is considerable less deposits and "filth" left behind by fuel as there used to be. About the only major area that is helped by the bottle of fuel system cleaner is the fuel filter... some of the junk it traps can be softened and cleaned out by the treatment, which ultimately would improve overall fuel flow and pressure. Injectors can get gummed up from time to time as well without a treatment, but again, it's not something that is as big of a problem as the companies that make the treatment would try to make you believe.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 AM
mcfisher666

i was alo thinking about the fuel filter knowing that dodge put it inthe tank andsays itnever to be replaced. the only thing i keep thinking is filters get clogged and need changing every so often. whats so different about this compaird to in line fuel filters

Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is some good info...

original: Rick '99 Flame Red R/T

All cars come equipped with a Sock (or Wick) type filter over the intake tube in the gas tank, this is generally not considered the fuel filter. The Sock Filter is just to prevent particles from the tank being sucked up into the intake tube and clogging the fuel pump. The actual Fuel Filter is after the pump and protects the rest of the fuel system; it is with very rare exception that a car does not have this filter. I’ve never heard of a fuel injected system no having a TRUE Fuel Filter after the fuel pump, I’m sure the injectors would clog very quickly without this basic protection, and a sock filter at the pick up will not provide this protection.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Kapitald
Captain

yeah i know what you mean....i asked for a fuel filter at auto zone and they told me its in the tank...there wasnt a fuel filter to replace you have to replace like the whole whatever it is inside the tank but i wasnt about to do that bc my neon only has 30,000 miles on it...

Old 01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
mcfisher666

the filter is attached to the sending unit and which is about 600 bucks brand new

Old 01-16-2007, 07:40 PM
winsettz
Veteran

This has come up before. It's not stocked at any auto stores. The "filter" is a combination Fuel Filter/Fuel Pressure regulator (I've yet to go grab one myself). Part num is...4546610 I think.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Exubus
Champion

Prestone (I think) sells an $8 bottle of injector cleaner, that is supposedly gaurenteed to also dissolve the gunk in your fuel filter as well and "renew" it. You might want to try that before spending a lot of $$$ and trying to replace it.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
ewetho
All Star

Find yourself a bottle of Redline SL-1 the only stuff I'd use over the counter. It is fantastic at cleaning stuff up.

Quick Reply: fuel system cleaning