2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2001 Dodge Neon squeak/squeal from the motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 AM
midwestzero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Neon squeak/squeal from the motor

Hello guys I'm new to the forum, hopefully I can get somewhat of an answer for my question

we have a 2001 dodge neon we bought about a month ago, 3-4 days after we bought the car it started to squeal/squeak from the motor, we had it looked at and we thought the noise was comming from the tensioner pully assembly, so we had that replaced, but now the noise is WORSE than before, but now when it idle's you don't hear the noise, only when the car is under a load or the gas is applied, we didn't reaplace the belt... what do you guys suggest would be causing the noise, I know when I get the belt wet it quits for a bit then it comes right back but I am not sure if thats another pully or what...

please help!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 AM
jBoRiCuA
Professional
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Neon squeak/squeal from the motor

Hey! Welcome to best forum!

I know exactly what you're talking about. It squeals when u tap the gas correct? It goes away after the car has warmed up. My remote starter fixed the problem . Thing is, only happens when the car is cold. I have tried a million things but it doesn't go away. Thought replacing my wires to MSD and plugs to NGK Iridium would fix it but it didn't happen. Replaced belts, even replaced my air filter, radiator hoses, stuff that you wouldn't think is causing the problem since that's what always happens but not this time. Only lasts less than a minute when your car isn't warmed up, I guess that's why it doesn't really bother me.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 AM
midwestzero

ours don't go away after it's warmed up, it sounds like something rubbing against something, HOPEFULLY its the belt, but I am telling you its REAL loud, horribly loud, thanks for the reply

Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM
mike9fore
Veteran

ORIGINAL: midwestzero

ours don't go away after it's warmed up, it sounds like something rubbing against something, HOPEFULLY its the belt, but I am telling you its REAL loud, horribly loud, thanks for the reply

It the belt...pop the hood inspect them...can you see the cord??? are they dried and grey???? Your problem is solved with a new belt....

Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I have this exact same problem...I've replaced the tensioner and the belts and the noise goes away but after a while it always comes back. Eventually you'll start to hear it all the time even at idle...i still havent figured out what the problem is...

Old 01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
midwestzero

i've heard the air compressor pulley's go bad on the 2nd gen neons pretty easy, maybe I could bypass it.. if I could find a bypass lol

Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea but then you might dammage the compressor and your windows wont unfog when u need them most..... good luck with that though.... not sure what it could be..... if you can record the noise maybe we can help some more........?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

quick checks, fist use a small amount of wd40 on the belt make sure you dont hit the pullys dirrect if the noise gose away then its the belt. lightly spray each pully till the sound goes away that will help you find the prob.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Exubus
Champion

The noise you hear could also be brought on by the colder weather... in other words, your alternator is working harder to recharge the battery, which can cause the belt to slip from the added electromotive force... it can also make the alternator itself seem to "squeek." I also have heard this happen (for these reasons) when there is more moisture in the air.

If you have a 5-spd, the trannymay alsomake a slight rubbing sound when the clutch is engaged but not in gear, mostly on a cold start (and in cold weather).

Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
tooslow
Veteran

so you already replaced the belts. If so take them of again. then spin all the pulleys by hand make sure none of themare seized.

it could be timing belt tensenior too.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Neon squeak/squeal from the motor