2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Trans Problems AGAIN!!%#$%@#$

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans Problems AGAIN!!%#$%@#$

Ok so awhile back i had to replace my tranny, not sure what the problem was but it was f$%^ed if you know what i mean, so today i got an oil change and now my tranny is acting up again.... and i have no idea what the hell is going on, pretty much when im in 2nd gear i hear this loud whining/grinding noise and that sound carries over to 3rd gear, but in all of the gears i hear some sort of whining..... but when its not in gear i dont hear the noise at all, also when im cruisin' in 5th at about 65mph randomly my shifter will pop out of 5th into neutral.... not conforting b/c that was happening to me with the old tranny and i eventually lost 4th and 5th gear completely..... so now i am going to have to call the place that fixed my car and im gonna see if they warranty their work, im hoping to god they do, and they fixed it right before thanksgiving.... so its not too long ago, well pretty much i wanted to know if anyone has an idea what could be causing this problem? could it be the motor mounts? could they be messed up to the point that they are making the engine and trans not line up correctly... or do Neon tranny's just suck D$%^ in general..? im so fed up with my car at this point, but i dont have the $ to buy a new one... or continue to fix this one......

Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trans Problems AGAIN!!%#$%@#$

welcome to my world, im on my third tranny, and just put a new motor in my 2003. The old motor was running, just not very good, had 103,000miles and i had to pull the tranny so i took and extra day and droped a $200 10,000mile motor in it. Now it runs like new so i am happy for now! From what i have found the ATX can take ZERO abuse, not sure about a MTX though. Good luck on the tranny.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

popping out of gear, means the 5th gear sychronizers inyour transmission are bad. mine use to do that in 3rd gear...and had to get it rebuilt.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Izero
Champion

now it is making that grinding noise when I rev it in neutral.... god this is F^&%in' Rediculous! 2nd tranny in less than a year... i might as well buy myself an SRT4 Motor after i fix this and save some serious $.... then again.... do you guys think that the SRT4 Tranny would fit and run ok with my 2001 Neon ES...?

Old 02-06-2007, 02:50 PM
FastNeon84
Record Breaker

i believe thek-frameisdifferent....the trannys out of a 1st gen would work...

Old 02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Izero
Champion

at this point im considering just buying an R/t motor and trans and just swapping that.....or maybe just the trans from one, gah im just so frustrated at this point......
what im trying to figure out is how is the syncro getting screwed up again and again...

Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

1. You grind shifts all the time
2. You got a bad tranny to begin with
3. Low transmission fluid

Those would be my guesses. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Trans problems huh???
Well I just replaced my transmission too. I pd 500 dollars for a used one; what do you guys think of that?
The reason I did this is b/c my car was falling out of gear when my dad went to pick my car up for me after doing some major work. I've always had a problem putting the car in reverse though. It would sometimes fall out of gear in reverse too.
My mechanic recently put the tranny in, now I'm waiting on the power steering pump to get in from the dealer.
My mechanic got about 4 brand new aftermarket power steering pumps from (I believe autozone) and all of them leaked. I attempted to pick the car up before but it was leaking. I believe the dealership is going to be ok.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:24 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

500 seems high if you ask me.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

500 seems high if you ask me.
Really??? Well I forgot where it was purchased from. I'm gonna ask.

Quick Reply: Trans Problems AGAIN!!%#$%@#$