2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Suspension and cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Kapitald
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and cam

Okay...so what's the difference between buying struts and springs versus coilovers??? and....if I got a comp 400 cam... a zex cam...for my sxt would i have to port the heads??

Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
tooslow
Veteran
Default RE: Suspension and cam

no but you do need valve springs the head port is not needed but would help make more power.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: tooslow

no but you do need valve springs the head port is not needed but would help make more power.
Especially since the 400 was designed specifically for the Magnum head...which to put in the very simplest terms could be described as a ported standard SOHC head. So if you want the best performance, P&P your head, or better yet, swap over a Magnum cylinder head (and then P&P that head).

Old 02-08-2007, 10:36 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

coilovers are smaller than struts and springs

Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Kapitald
Captain

ok they are smaller....what else???? anybody got some pro's con's on coilovers and the standard route with struts and springs???

Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Lol nice explanation spikey .

Ok, I'll try and simplify things as much as possible. There are many misconceptions between shocks, struts, springs, and coilovers. First of all, our stock suspension IS considered a "coilover" design...the entire name is "Coil-Over Strut". Our stock suspension is a coiled spring over a strut housing/shaft (from now on when i say coilover i'm talking about the aftermarket units)...so whats the difference?

Well, coilovers as we call them (aftermarket wise) are smaller units designed to be height adjustable, dampening adjustable, and either standard or inverted mounted. They are designed as a single unit so they are stronger,give a better ride, and much better performance. Since the spring is more slender and has a higher spring rate there is no need for a large spring or spring perch, which allows for MUCH wider and taller tires.

So the Pro's for a aftermarket coilover system is performace, tire/wheel size, looks, adjustability/customization (spring rates, dampening, height, etc...), and reliability. The Consare PRICE and you need to know what your doing with all the adjustability available.

I'm sure I missed something or didnt explain it in full detail, so if anyone wants to add anything feel free!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM
ewetho
All Star

Generally when dropping a car the spring rates go up at least a little to quite a bit. The stock struts and replacements do not generally do to well controlling the increased spring rate. Koni's can but they are expensive and require altering stock struts. Now there are different types of coilovers. Cheap ebay crap ones that are just sleeves for altered struts. Not so good. Real coilovers are expensive about a Grand and up. But are adjustable and generally have shock dampening that is tuned to the spring rate. This helps. Coilovers also allow you to weight and balance the car by adjusting ride height slightly at each corner to make it do what you want. Now for racing coilover all the way. Also allows for slightly wider tires.

Pricewise the best setups for each style are about the same. $600 Koni's and $200 springs (and change) VS. $1000 Coilovers.

Comfort on the street will generally be better with struts due to lower spring rates generally available.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:31 AM
tooslow
Veteran

you can pick up some k-sport coilovers for about 800 too 900

Old 02-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Kapitald
Captain

So whats the problem with the 50 dollar coilovers ive been seeing on ebay????all I know on this subject is "you get what you pay for"

whats wrong with these guys??? edumacate me!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

those are just ****ty springs. technically it would be a coilover like 03neonrt said, out stock stuff is a coil over strut. id suggest gettign tokico hp blues with thier lowering springs. its a good drop, nice ride, good name, and great price. you can find it for under 400 on ebay. it also comes with a lifetime warranty. coilovers are nice and pretty but imo not worth the money

Quick Reply: Suspension and cam