2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

problem after problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:51 AM
darlin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: problem after problem

Well speaking of problem after problem: I just bought my first car that being a black sporty little neon. My neon is a 2001 and has about 87000 miles on her. When I test drove her I was so excited. I just loved the way she looked and felt. Well then about a week or so later after all of the insurence and title stuff was said and done I found time to go drive her up to the inspection station. ( Being that there was not an up to date inspection tag on her.) Well, I failed inspection for my rear-brake light being out and then started to drive home already half annoyed.then about a mile from my house the car starts driving really rough and then I look down and see that the temp. gauge is nearing the hot zone. So I wait to find a safe place to pull over by this point my car is litterly smoking and the coolant overflow area is making the AWEFUL boiling sound. Me being the girl I amwas by this point in tears as I basically choked on the smell of rotten fish guts coming from my car. Well I finally managed to cool her down well enough tp safely drive her the rest of the way home without causing further damage by warping everything under the hood with the extreme heat. To make the rest of my bad experiance short I took the car to STS and they quoted me a price that would exceeded the cars value . Then I got even more upset so I called the nice man I bought her from. Well this man was kind enough to offer to fix EVERYTHING wrong with her for FREE. Imagine that. Well fellows this is what a set of perky ***** and a nice smile get you! : )...I am glad I was lucky enough to have my problem after problem fixed with no cost to me.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 AM
contagious19
Champion

um no problems wit my neon other dan da ones dat i caused

Old 02-24-2007, 04:53 AM
ewetho
All Star

ORIGINAL: turbo2oh

okay, so i have had my neon for 15 months, and it seems to be one problem right after another. at 63,000 miles i had to have the stock auto tranny ripped out because it was torn up from the previous owner. i hadnt even had the car 4 months when this happened. when i test drove it, there wasnt a problem. it was something that built up over time....so after a new 5-speed went in, and $3,100 later, it started to look better. then came all the custom work....and right now im back to problems....

my brakes have been worked on 4 times in the past 2 months, for the SAME EXACT problem. i have had trouble with my PS system, and my O2 sensor died on me. not only that, my door lock button fell off....

now, keep in mind this is a 2003 sxt that i have modded.....but it still bugs me that it seems that every 2 weeks or so somethin else goes wrong with my car. im thinkin about sellin it. im tired of it draggin money out of my pocket. gettin rid of my cummins for a car to customize was the biggest mistake of my life. now i realize why they dont make these care anymore and why people dont like em. my friend has a 2003 sxt also and has had a ton of problems, and from what i hear, so have a million other people who drive neons....

as for now, im gonna throw a for sale sign in the window and see what i can get and start shoppin for a new cummins....
O2 that is just occasional maintenance. Sorry no biggie there.

Now what is the problem with the brakes? Mine(an 04) has 43K and no problems at all other than cold screech from the rear drums. Maybe we can get you going in the right direction on how to get them fixed properly so you can go back to trouble free driving.

What is up with power steering?? Maybe someone can help with that too. Has the fluid ever been changed out???

Door lock normally only fails from abuse so maybe the old owner just beat the tar out of it.

Tell us what is going on and maybe we can help.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:24 AM
ek2588
Veteran

ORIGINAL: turbo2oh

okay, so i have had my neon for 15 months, and it seems to be one problem right after another. at 63,000 miles i had to have the stock auto tranny ripped out because it was torn up from the previous owner. i hadnt even had the car 4 months when this happened. when i test drove it, there wasnt a problem. it was something that built up over time....so after a new 5-speed went in, and $3,100 later, it started to look better. then came all the custom work....and right now im back to problems....

my brakes have been worked on 4 times in the past 2 months, for the SAME EXACT problem. i have had trouble with my PS system, and my O2 sensor died on me. not only that, my door lock button fell off....

now, keep in mind this is a 2003 sxt that i have modded.....but it still bugs me that it seems that every 2 weeks or so somethin else goes wrong with my car. im thinkin about sellin it. im tired of it draggin money out of my pocket. gettin rid of my cummins for a car to customize was the biggest mistake of my life. now i realize why they dont make these care anymore and why people dont like em. my friend has a 2003 sxt also and has had a ton of problems, and from what i hear, so have a million other people who drive neons....

as for now, im gonna throw a for sale sign in the window and see what i can get and start shoppin for a new cummins....
...man i know all to well how you feel. My car has 67,000. Master brake cylinder went out on me on my way to a party this pastnew years eve. Imagine being stranded at some grls housethat said she liked you to only find out she had a boyfriend(that she forgot to tell u about)and you couldnt leave cuz ur car was broke... so yea. i was quoted for around 400$ to get it fixed. I did some research and replaced the cylinder, and proportioning valvemy self. Just this past sunday my wheel cylinder in the drum brakewent out, leaking all my fluid on the ground. Left me stranded for an hour at the movie theatre parking lot.shopqouted me for 460$ to get it fixed cuz they said all the drum parts needed to be replaced. Right now me and my dad are fixing the drum brakes replacing the shoes, wheel cylinder, springs, and the drum it self. I baby this car as much as i can but its getting to the point were its getting unreliable so after i fix all this ish and slap on somenew tires ...even tho i hate to say it im putting it up for sell.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:11 PM
jayandliz27

Since you guys seem to have lots of Neon knowledge when it comes to problems, I was hoping someone could give me some advice (hopefully today) about the latest string of problems I'm having with mine...
I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon LX. This morning while I was on my way to work, towards the end of my drive I began having trouble braking, as the car really seemed to want to keep driving instead of stopping. As I would press the brake, I was having to fight with the accelerator it seemed. Then when I would let off of the brake and not press anything, the car would continue to accelerate. Finally, when I put the car in park, the throttle went WAY up. This FREAKED me out!!! I'm guessing the throttle got stuck?? How did this happen and when I start my car tonight, am I going to hit the wall?! I should mention that a few days ago, the ABS system apparently went out and now each time I drive the car, I have trouble braking after a while and eventually the ABS and "trac off" lights will come on to indicate that they ABS has been deactivated. Not sure ifthe ABS and throttle issuesare related...I was thinking that the ABS problemwas possibly electrical, because shortly after that started, the fog light indicator started coming on, though my fog lights were not in use...the indicatorwould sort of flicker off and on. I don't know what to do...I just finished spending $1500 to fix the timing belt, which upon breaking decided to tear up everything else. I just don't feel safe in this car anymore!
Thanks for any help you guys can offer...I'm afraid to take it to a mechanic. I'll probably get ripped off.
-Liz

Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
l_pillon
Professional

this is what u get when u dont get the car inspected before u buy it 2nd hand....im not tryin to offend some of u guys but ur not mechanics....u need to put a car up in the air and inspect everything....if ur really considering buyin a used car spend the 150 bucks to put it up in the air and get it looked at,,,,i really dont feel bad when people get lemons....but then the people who are selling cars should be honest enough to be straight up with u

Quick Reply: problem after problem