2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2 ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 PM
dragon8master
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ?s

1. Does anyone here have experience with the Energy Suspension bushing kit for an '01 Neon?

The garage I took the car to for the install (only 'cause I don't have the proper tools or place to do such a job) said that they couldn't fit the rear control arm bushings in. (Anyone who thinks that means that there are control arms on the rear of the car need not reply.)

2. Does anyone know how to locate the wire in the dash for an aftermarket tach? The wire that give you an rpm reading?

My '01 SE does not have a factory tachometer, but I understand that it is pre wired for an instrument cluster that does, so the wire is there. I just need to know which one it is.

THANX in advance for any useful info!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2 ?s

sorry but i cant answer either question lol but i can give a suggestion. swap in an sxt cluster with a tach so it looks MUCH better and cleaner

Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

The wire in the cluster plug sends a diffrent signal then and aftermarket tach uses. you need to get a "tach adapter"

the first one i have no idea how to answer....

Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 AM
ewetho
All Star

I have not installed the energy bushing into the control arm but my Prothane ones were a bit of a Pain in the (fill in here you own adjective) to get in the subframe and get bolted back up. Had to push and push and push and Pry a bit to finally get them in. Then Push and pry to get the bolt back in. Not sure if that is the problem or are they having difficulty getting the rea (vertical) bushing into the control arm itself. Most of the energy set is press in. One reason (since once installed it makes no difference) I got the Prothanes is they are pieced together and I put them together by hand and an occasional light final pressing with a vise to final seat things together before placing back in the car.

Tech adapter is probably best for the other item.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
dragon8master
Professional

Well, I'm definitely not gonna go buy an sxt cluster, cause I already have a tach that i hadin another car, which is gone now. I don't know about other aftermarket tachs, but this one has 4 wires: red (12v+), black (ground), white (illumination), and green (rpm signal). It also has a switch on the back for 4, 6, or 8 cylinders. The instructions said something about seeing a service manual for the tach wire that comes out of the cars computer, to connect the green wire to. It's a SunPro from Advance Auto Parts if that helps. The 2.5 inch or so, not that ***gy MONSTER TACH [:'(] thing. Maybe this info can help someone help me? Thanks again!

Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 PM
dragon8master
Professional

and about how much would a tach adapter cost if i did need one, and what does it do exactly anyway?

Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

from what I have read on this board in the past, I thought someone said it only reads off 2 cylinders (?) and that it's a pain in the *** to get the adapter to work, let alone find one somewhere...that's why most just get the SXT ot SRT cluster and put in...like they said above, looks very clean and it's about a 20 minute plug and play swap.(found my SXT cluster to swap on evil-bay for about 40 bucks)
So probably it's double the time-effort and cost, even if ya got an aftermarket tach sittin there. Hope ya got a lot of time, and a high frustration level tolerance! Good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 PM
leadspud
Professional

The Tack adapter is around $60.00

Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM
dragon8master
Professional

Ok, so I checked ebay for an sxt cluster...no one seems to have the mileage for any of them that have a tach. One of them did say that if the mileage didn't transfer to the new one out of the cars computer, that it's an easy fix to swap out the actual odometer part from your original cluster. Does anyone know if this is true? Or whether or not the mileage will read true with the swap?

Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i'm looking into getting an SXT cluster for my car too, i havent heard whetehr you can switch out the mileage, but the only thing i have heard is that once you take out the cluster there is no way to transfer your mileage, let's hope someone finds a way around it, i'm tired of lookin at my plain black gauges lol