2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Hey, i'm new and got a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:38 PM
idiefast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey, i'm new and got a couple of questions

Hey there, I'm new to the forums as well as new to the Dodge Neon but I'm willing to learn all i can. I just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, it has the standard 2.0L SOHC engine in it that, as everyone knows, puts out 132 hp and 130 ft/lb, at least that's what the factory says.... but yup I just have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me out with:

1. I was looking up some information on it and there was a quick mention about the Neon magnum version that put out a bit more power while looking like it used the same size engine. I was wondering exactly what was the differences between the standard and magnum engines? are there just different components or are they entirely different engines in general? any information on the magnum would be appreciated.

2. I know that automatics aren't as efficient as a manual but I still want to put a bit more power under the hood, nothing huge but 150hp like the magnum would be nice... So what are some basic things I can do to my neon to get a bit more power out of it without going to the srt-4 extent...at least not until i'm ready for it... and I am on a bit of a budget because I'm funding anything I do/repair on my own....so yea....money not so much...

3. Is there anything I can do that won't void the warranty I have on my car or is it pretty much anything I do to it will void the warranty coverage?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, please remember that I'm a bit new at this so I haven't learned all the tools of the trade but yes, if anyone could/would lend some answers that'd make me quite happy. Thank you very much.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:57 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: Hey, i'm new and got a couple of questions

ORIGINAL: idiefast

Hey there, I'm new to the forums as well as new to the Dodge Neon but I'm willing to learn all i can. I just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT, it has the standard 2.0L SOHC engine in it that, as everyone knows, puts out 132 hp and 130 ft/lb, at least that's what the factory says.... but yup I just have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me out with:

1. I was looking up some information on it and there was a quick mention about the Neon magnum version that put out a bit more power while looking like it used the same size engine. I was wondering exactly what was the differences between the standard and magnum engines? are there just different components or are they entirely different engines in general? any information on the magnum would be appreciated.

2. I know that automatics aren't as efficient as a manual but I still want to put a bit more power under the hood, nothing huge but 150hp like the magnum would be nice... So what are some basic things I can do to my neon to get a bit more power out of it without going to the srt-4 extent...at least not until i'm ready for it... and I am on a bit of a budget because I'm funding anything I do/repair on my own....so yea....money not so much...

3. Is there anything I can do that won't void the warranty I have on my car or is it pretty much anything I do to it will void the warranty coverage?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated, please remember that I'm a bit new at this so I haven't learned all the tools of the trade but yes, if anyone could/would lend some answers that'd make me quite happy. Thank you very much.
Your first two questions can be answered here... https://dodgeforum.com/m_665840/tm.htm<--- Read through it, theres all the information you need and if you have some more specifc questions after that I'll be happy to try and answer them for you.

As for your warranty, things like a turbo, cam, etc...will void your warranty, but things like cold air intakes, STS's, and simply bolt-ons like that will not void your warranty.

Oh and welcome to the forum!!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:33 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

i think 03 answered all pretty well. but in short, the 150 hp is a DOHC, whild yours is the SOHC. so they are a little bit different. but acheiving 150hp w/o voiding your warranty shouldnt be too difficult.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: flamingpinhead

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

i think 03 answered all pretty well. but in short, the 150 hp is a DOHC, whild yours is the SOHC. so they are a little bit different. but acheiving 150hp w/o voiding your warranty shouldnt be too difficult.
They're both SOHC...the only Neons besides the SRT-4 to get a DOHC weresome 1st Gens...

Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

[sm=admin.gif] yes sir, correct you are... and i thought i knew neons... i was honestly unaware they discontinued the dohc in the r/t. but after some light research, i found:

A symbol of a vehicle that has continuously improved through the years but was not able to lift up its sales woes is the Dodge Neon. Year by year, new innovations and a lot of improvements is being given to the Dodge Neon, but despite all these improvements, it can’t seem to break the continuous decline in its sales. Up until today, the Dodge Neon is still being haunted by the bad image it has created in its early years.

The Dodge Neon, together with its Plymouth Neon twin, was introduced by DaimlerChrysler in 1994 as a 1995 year model. Upon introduction, the Dodge Neon was available in 4-door sedan and 2-door coupe body style. Engine options include a 132-hp 2.0-liter SOHC 4-cylinder engine and a 150-hp 2.0-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine paired with either a 3-speed automatic or a 4-speed manual transmission.

The early Dodge Neon, as well as their Plymouth variants, was a popular amateur race car. With either 2.0-liter engine variants, the Dodge Neon can move quickly and accelerate fast, thanks in part to its light body weight. But performance can be easily overlooked if hounded by safety and quality problems, and that’s what happened to the Dodge Neon. Hounded by complaints about engine head-gasket failures and a lot of other problems, early Neons created for itself a bad reputation—something from which the Dodge Neon wasn’t able to recover.

From the 2000 model year, Chrysler introduced a new generation of Dodge Neon vehicles. While the style remained to be the same, one can find a lot of enhancements made on the second generation Neon. Available only in 4-door sedan models, the new Dodge Neon may be equipped with several variants of the 2.0-liter SOHC engine. The previous engine problems and other reliability and quality problems have clearly been answered already, and the new Dodge Neon is certainly much better than the old model. However, the bad reputation of the early Neons has continued to haunt the brand, leading to continued poor sales and its eventual demise for the 2006 model year.

The new Dodge Neon vehicles are definitely of better quality than the older ones. Most of the early Dodge Neon vehicles have already been recalled, so there should be not much of a problem driving them today. But if you’d rather be sure and would want to increase the performance of your Neon, you can always replace their stock parts with high quality aftermarket, replacement and performance Dodge Neon parts.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw...eon~parts.html

Old 02-25-2007, 05:01 AM
wanabesrt

our cars r so fukin slow

Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: wanabesrt

our cars r so fukin slow
Hondas and such are fukin slow...Neons are just slow.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 AM
idiefast

he he he nice. Anyways, after looking at the information on the Magnum version, doesn't look like i'd be able to do a conversion without voiding the warranty, which I would prefer to keep for now, so it looks like I'll be going bolt-on. In that case, what are some ideas for bolt-ons that can get me a bit of power gain? the ones I know of are high preformance pullies, cold air intake, and exhaust, are there any others or is that pretty much it?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
2003NEONSEGUYANDGIRL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS THE 2.0 16 VALVE A DUAL CAM? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERES 4 VALVES PER PISTON

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM
mike9fore
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 2003NEONSEGUYANDGIRL

IS THE 2.0 16 VALVE A DUAL CAM? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERES 4 VALVES PER PISTON