2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Turbo This Turbo That... Lets Hear About....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo This Turbo That... Lets Hear About....

High Compression/ NA Setups.... if you look around you see a lot about turbos and stuff of the sort, but lets hear everyones thought on NA setups, more costly than a turbo system? better running? more/less problems? lets hear your thoughts guys...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbo This Turbo That... Lets Hear About....

They are probably cheaper in the beginning, but you'll soon realize that intake, exhaust, tb, udp, cam, etc only will get you so far. Then to continue making more power you'll need higher comp pistons. Then you'll need standalone or performance pcm if you can get one so you rev the sumbitch a lot higher then stock. So if you start adding up the cost of all that you'll realize that you could have just boosted it for around the same or less in some cases. It really depends on how crazy you go and how far you want to push the car. There are pros and cons of going both directions.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:20 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

its way more expensive to make minimal power. you can squeeze out 190 whp if your lucky

Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Yes, if you go N/A you can go only so far with a 2.0l engine! The most I have ever seen is around 190! In the long run, I have seen turbo'd 2.0L engines put out 380 whp!!!!! Thats a LOT. That with a re-worked and built motor, nice turbo (tuned), and one heck of a performance parts list.....

Old 03-16-2007, 01:01 PM
blackflame
Captain

I think a great example of what a turbo can do is of the Lancer Evo and the Impreza WRX STi. Those both have 2.0l engines with but have a turbo. They can keep up with V12 engines. While the evo and wrx are only around $50,000 the V12s are usually around $250,000.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blackflame

I think a great example of what a turbo can do is of the Lancer Evo and the Impreza WRX STi. Those both have 2.0l engines with but have a turbo. They can keep up with V12 engines. While the evo and wrx are only around $50,000 the V12s are usually around $250,000.
ok sorry but the STi is a 2.5L boxter engine, so.... yea..... it does make quite a bit of power due to the extra half liter, however the Impreza WRX is a 2.0L boxer engine and it can roughly make a good 400 hp,with a real big turbo and a fully built engine, plus those cars are made a hell of a lot better than our neons, though the SRT4 stock-stock & mild bolt-on's - mild bolt-on's will beat a WRX from a stop, not sure about a roll. the Evo however does have a 2.0L which again is limited in power because of its displacement, which is why most evo owners usually bore the cylinders out to about 2.3L to make a reallllllly easy 400-600 HP. and yes its true they can keep up with most V12's but thats in a drag... on the track however it comes down to driving skill, as the V12's pull away real fast in the straights but the WRX and Evo's catch up in the corners...ahhh the beauty of AWD *sighs*, though the AWD system adds a ridiculous amount of weight.

On another note im glad that you guys are taking some interest in this post, now what about boring our cylinders out for a2.2L or2.4L displacement, plus add the pistons and all the other goodies to make it work. wouldn't that create a larger possibility for power? just a guess but most likely in the 200-220HP range? but that is most likely with an almost fully built motor, with a very very good tune<<which is really flippin' hard b/c dodge wont give us the darn encoding for our PCMs. Also what about the 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 Liter stroker motors from howellautomotive.com what are the capabilities of those motors?

Old 03-16-2007, 04:11 PM
blackflame
Captain

yeah...I got the WRX and the WRX STi mixed. I don't know why I said that. It still makes a good point though. Turbos are a pretty cheap investment for a ton of power. As to the point you made about how those cars are built better than neons: I know. I was just making a general statement of what turbos CAN do.

Idk, about that other stuff. I'm just getting into all of this stuff :P. I would assume boring the cylinders out would make a lot more power. More intake leads to a bigger combustion.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 PM
04 mo neon
All Star

n/a setups are just boring and just kinda seem pointless when your after power on 4cyl engines. Boost is just a better way to make power.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
contagious19
Champion

a WRX sti cost about 30,000 not 50,000 and they can keep up wit V12s and **** but they only keep up for a little while. well i agree can only go so far without turbo. eventually turbo is going to have to go on.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 PM
blackflame
Captain

ORIGINAL: contagious19

a WRX sti cost about 30,000 not 50,000 and they can keep up wit V12s and **** but they only keep up for a little while. well i agree can only go so far without turbo. eventually turbo is going to have to go on.

Yeah, I know man. And the evo MR is around $36,000. I don't know the specifics of some of the exotics but I know they can range from $150,000-$300,000 easy. If $15,000 grand changes my point or anything I said let me know. Other than that...its not that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: Turbo This Turbo That... Lets Hear About....