2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My train horn is coming Thursday. Got er from trainhornsdelivered. He said he would give me the quad train horn kit for the same price but I got the triple instead. I like the sound alittle better.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:52 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
My train horn is coming Thursday. Got er from trainhornsdelivered. He said he would give me the quad train horn kit for the same price but I got the triple instead. I like the sound alittle better.
It's funny how you and I have almost the exact same major mods by the same manufacturers on our trucks, great minds think alike! Did you buy the 1.5 gallon kit? If so I could show you how I mounted the tank + compressor and horns under the hood. Might give you some ideas if you don't want to mount along the frame rail.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
BBartow
Captain

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited by BBartow; 12-10-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
That's one heavy water pump! I was expecting the carburetor to be a problem in the cold before the ignition.
Lol yeah! Built Ford tough in Canada! (no offense to Dodge built in Mexico).

Nope carb never causes me trouble as far as cold starting, electric choke works flawlessly. I probably should replace my ignition module, but I'm kinda lazy to yet...

Keep in mind, the more timing advance, the harder the start... I'm running 17* base now, and 35 mechanical/vacuum advance, totalling to 52* timing. i added 2 more degrees to what I'd had before, and I bet that's contributing to it too. I'm also getting alot of alternator feedback in the system, either a bad VR or a poor ground or both...

So it all adds up...

I'm considering selling my engine/trans setup and getting a different engine/trans...

It snowed here, temps been hanging around 20* in the day, got down to -5 the other night, too cold for the time...

Lots of deer too...

Anybody got any suggestions on losing weight?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:48 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
It's funny how you and I have almost the exact same major mods by the same manufacturers on our trucks, great minds think alike! Did you buy the 1.5 gallon kit? If so I could show you how I mounted the tank + compressor and horns under the hood. Might give you some ideas if you don't want to mount along the frame rail.
Haha I know man! And yep I'm pretty sure. It's the biggest tank they got for the triple setup. Shoot me a message or something.

But I found a guy that fabricated steel bumpers! They look like iron cross too but for about half the cost. He can do a rear one for 750 shipped and a basic front one with fog light holes for 850 shipped.

How well will these half tons hold up to these things? Lol

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just gas mpg that's all bud and well you are used to that right lol. Man you have plans for that truck might as well start looking at a built gas 5.9 for it as well.

The front might go down a little with the extra weight but not much.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Lol yeah! Built Ford tough in Canada! (no offense to Dodge built in Mexico).

Nope carb never causes me trouble as far as cold starting, electric choke works flawlessly. I probably should replace my ignition module, but I'm kinda lazy to yet...

Keep in mind, the more timing advance, the harder the start... I'm running 17* base now, and 35 mechanical/vacuum advance, totalling to 52* timing. i added 2 more degrees to what I'd had before, and I bet that's contributing to it too. I'm also getting alot of alternator feedback in the system, either a bad VR or a poor ground or both...

So it all adds up...

I'm considering selling my engine/trans setup and getting a different engine/trans...

It snowed here, temps been hanging around 20* in the day, got down to -5 the other night, too cold for the time...

Lots of deer too...

Anybody got any suggestions on losing weight?
Sell me your NV4500 for real cheap I will love you forever

I use to drop weight for wrestling. Water, vegetables, boiled eggs(yuck) for breakfast everyday and a **** ton of exercise lol

Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Just gas mpg that's all bud and well you are used to that right lol. Man you have plans for that truck might as well start looking at a built gas 5.9 for it as well.

The front might go down a little with the extra weight but not much.
Haha I figured it would effect gas since about a thousand pounds is added. But yeah I would love to do that, but that'll be the prettiest penny I would ever see leaving my pocket, haha. I would have to take all the mods outta my engine when I get them and pay a guy to do the swap. I might just stick to the 5.2 lol.

But that's nothing 1" spacers can't fix.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha I figured it would effect gas since about a thousand pounds is added. But yeah I would love to do that, but that'll be the prettiest penny I would ever see leaving my pocket, haha. I would have to take all the mods outta my engine when I get them and pay a guy to do the swap. I might just stick to the 5.2 lol.

But that's nothing 1" spacers can't fix.
Time to start building a tool collection

Old 12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha I figured it would effect gas since about a thousand pounds is added.
1000 lbs? For a pair of bumpers? I doubt it. 500 lb's a bumper would be excessive. If they are overbuilt and extremely stout you should be looking at 300lbs per bumper max. Probably more like 150-200lbs in reality.

To give you an idea my old bumper that I had on my Power Wagon then on my '95 Ram was all 1/4" steel with tubing used for the rounded edges. 1/4" is more than big enough, and most builders use 3/16". I could pick mine up and walk around with it, so it couldn't have been more than 200lbs.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread