2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jigabop
my truck has been selected for more beta testing

they want me to swap my secondary turbo for a VGT and have me test out a new tuner they came up with that is based off my current tuner, but with added built in VGT controller, etc... should be interesting. and will give me an exhaust brake! woot!
Cool! So do they use the stock ECM and just run a custom tune in it to control the VGT? Because I am curious how it could control a VGT

Old 02-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Jigabop
Champion

I have an external tuning box that plugs into both the canbus data link under the hood, map sensor, and wiretaps the injection pump.

it would be a new external fueling box with an additional connection for the turbo.

most 24v cummins trucks don't run programmers as they can't make as much power as an external fueling box that wiretaps the pump.

I have a programmer for my truck, but I never really use it.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

I have an external tuning box that plugs into both the canbus data link under the hood, map sensor, and wiretaps the injection pump.

it would be a new external fueling box with an additional connection for the turbo.

most 24v cummins trucks don't run programmers as they can't make as much power as an external fueling box that wiretaps the pump.

I have a programmer for my truck, but I never really use it.
So what does the factory ECM think about all of this? Does it throw a CEL or go into limp mode?

Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Jigabop
Champion

no lol.

that is the reason for the map sensor connection. it prevents the ECM from knowing the actual boost amount to prevent an overboost code.

and no CEL's ever

it does fueling through both the datalink by altering live data, and by using a mosfet to push the injection pump harder. edge uses the same type of fueling methods.

only this box will go above and beyond everyone else's boxes

Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

no lol.

that is the reason for the map sensor connection. it prevents the ECM from knowing the actual boost amount to prevent an overboost code.

and no CEL's ever

it does fueling through both the datalink by altering live data, and by using a mosfet to push the injection pump harder. edge uses the same type of fueling methods.

only this box will go above and beyond everyone else's boxes
That's great! I dislike tuners that create CELs.

What's a mosfet?

Edge tuners, bleh. I dislike them. Never seem to work right...

Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would I want to go over there in the land of excessive salt use?! my truck already has some cancer going, I don't need to make the cancer 10x worse! lol

If I want to drive through tons of snow, I need only take a 30 minute drive to the mountain pass through the cascade mountains
If I want to drive in the mountains I just have to get in the truck and driveway 1 minute in any direction, I don't have to drive 30 minutes to get to hills and mountains...

Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4.10 gears make the truck feel brand new

stupid epa, slushboxes and old school v8s

Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Rebel541
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From wikipedia:
The metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET, MOS-FET, or MOS FET) is a transistor used for amplifying or switching electronic signals. Although the MOSFET is a four-terminal device with source (S), gate (G), drain (D), and body (B) terminals,[1] the body (or substrate) of the MOSFET often is connected to the source terminal, making it a three-terminal device like other field-effect transistors. Because these two terminals are normally connected to each other (short-circuited) internally, only three terminals appear in electrical diagrams. The MOSFET is by far the most common transistor in both digital and analog circuits, though the bipolar junction transistor was at one time much more common.

I've heard of them in car stereo amplifiers a lot, but that's all. I'm no electrical engineer.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triumph uses them in there regulator rectifiers, at least there new ones lol. I don't know if other motorcycle manufactures use them too

Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by stewie01
If I want to drive in the mountains I just have to get in the truck and driveway 1 minute in any direction, I don't have to drive 30 minutes to get to hills and mountains...
If I want to drive in the mountains I just have to get in the truck and drive 8 hours in one direction

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread