2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Getting a Maaco paint job

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting a Maaco paint job

Just got the front end of my truck fixed now i have to get it painted so i just dropped it off at Maaco its going to cost about a 995.10 to get the whole thing painted original color's and to fix a few dents. I know maaco doesn't do the most best jobs but as long as it last me a few more years ill be happy with it and it will look better then it already does. Whole passenger side was starting to chip. I'm just wondering if anybody else has maaco paint jobs on there trucks or anything else they own. If you have pictures please post them also around how long did it take for them to get the job done?
Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
wakullabronco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 lets see them

Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i've heard that the problem with maaco is the clear coat gives out a couple years after getting a paint job. and paint doesn't last long on a car without a clear coat.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anythings better then the crappy factory paint job Dodge gave us. My roof and my hood are chipping.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
intense00
Professional

Originally Posted by J415
anythings better then the crappy factory paint job Dodge gave us. My roof and my hood are chipping.

There is definetly an issue with the paint on 97's and probably other years.

Had a 97 dakota that the paint was peeling horribly.

Seen others with the same problems and they were 97's

Old 10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
de8212
Professional

I was just contemplating getting my Ram repainted. It's a 99 and the hood is starting to get a faded/washed out look and so is the roof. I think it's because it sits in the driveway about 95% of the time.

Not that I am being cheap, but I thought maaco painted vehicles for much less that 1k. I thought they had a special that was only 3 - 400.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional

Mine is costing so much because im having a few dents removed and for a two tone paint job it cost extra i also got one of the more expensive paint packages so the paint should last a few years. I think i should have a problem with it fading or anything i was and wax the thing just about every weekend

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
gobbell1
Professional

I have a '96 and it too was chipping on the hood and roof. So I repainted it myself with a weekend of FREE labor and $100 worth of paint. I already had the sprayer.

See for yourself.

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?...pid=404015&ck=

Old 10-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

I checked into Maaco a while back. Here's what I found.
You get what you pay for. They have their $199 paint job and they admit it's a cheap paint with *******ly no prep. They have more expensive paint jobs which include better paint and more detailed prep. I've seen the cheap job and it will last a year or two. For a truck that is chipping, I was told that they really recommend removing the paint entirely and then painting. Otherwise it will still chip and take the new paint with it. That's your call and obviously the price will reflect the paint removal (prep). The people that complain about their paint jobs are the ones buying a $199 paint job and expecting a $1999 service.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had them paint my vette....(twice because they painted it the wrong color and woulndt admit it but when I took it in to have the ground effects painted they couldnt match the paint...(wasnt even close to the right color) so somehow I eneded up getting swindled into paying for a whole new paintjob.....and the second time they never even clearcoated in ...they used crappy integrated clear one stage the second time so now I have to buff the **** out of it every summer....but it was cheap and I knew the manager so I guess thats what you get when someone does you a favor and screws up... ended up not being such a good favor...
I bought a gun and did my own bodywork and base/clear on my jeep....came out better than the vette. two stage is the important key. Dont let them talk you into intergated clear one stage paint.

Quick Reply: Getting a Maaco paint job