2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

2001 Dashboard Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 10:33 AM
brianhille62

Originally Posted by rschupp
Same problem here. Dodge says is not a common problem so won't fix it, yet I know of several people with same problem. Let's write to them as a group so they can see IT IS a common problem. Please respond
Same problem here. Ours has cracked all to pieces.

Old 06-20-2012 | 02:47 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

When Chrysler went bankrupt, they opted to reorganize in a way that vacated all potential previous claims against them. Short version: they are not responsible for anything the "old" Chrysler did. They opted to honor previous CURRENT warranty issues, but they are now shielded from all liability pertaining to previous products and lawsuits. Waste your time if you want, but they will say that was the responsibility of "old" Chrysler which no longer exists.

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:08 AM
jdeilus
Default Cracked Dash

I had the same problem. I had big chunks missing out of mine. I got a dash cap at www.dashskin.com I cost about $150. It is molded to your dash shape and fits perfectly. It come with adhesive so it sticks to your existing dash. Real simple to install and looks like the original dash.

Old 06-29-2012 | 10:11 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by jdeilus
I had the same problem. I had big chunks missing out of mine. I got a dash cap at www.dashskin.com I cost about $150. It is molded to your dash shape and fits perfectly. It come with adhesive so it sticks to your existing dash. Real simple to install and looks like the original dash.
And it's nothing more than an expensive Band-Aid.

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:34 AM
Trooper10
Exclamation recall

Originally Posted by dealfinder001
Out of nowhere my dashboard just started cracking on my 2001 Ram 1500. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Maybe someone with similar experience can advise me on how to repair it without spending $360 at the dealership for the part and $500 for labor. Yeah I know I can get a dash mat but I don't want one. I also do not think I should have to pay for the dash or the labor. This truck is only four years old, and the dashboard is not even discolored from the sun yet. I'm actually looking for people with similar problems (and similar year truck) so that we can get dodge(Daimler/Chrysler) to put a recall on it. I love my truck, and I love getting it muddy but I am very disappointed in the dashboard.[:@]
I have contacted an U.S. Senator's office and Dodge customer service about this issue. Mine has been cracked on the dodge Cummings diesel pickup for some time and needs to be repaired. Might this defect cause serious injury if it punctures the airbag or people riding in the vehicle during a crash? The dashes appear to need to be replaced, although some owners seem to be doing temporary repairs at their own expense. I am not sure the repairs completely make the vehicle safe unless the dash is replaced. Perhaps all of you could notify your U.S. Senators ref: investigating the need for a recall, as well as compensating owners of Dodge Ram vehicles who have paid for repairs to their Dodge Ram vehicle dashes.

Last edited by Trooper10; 09-26-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: unclear in original.
Old 09-26-2012 | 09:38 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Trooper10
I have contacted an U.S. Senator's office and Dodge customer service about this issue. Mine has been cracked on the dodge Cummings diesel pickup for some time and needs to be repaired. It may well cause serious injury if it punctures the airbag or people riding in the vehicle during a crash so the vehicle limiting the use of the vehicles. I am going to try adhesives and or a dash cover for a temporary repair but the dashes may need to be replaced in these Ram vehicles that are having the problem. Perhaps all of you could notify your U.S. Senators ref: investigating the need for a recall, as well as compensating owners of Dodge Ram vehicles who have paid for repairs to their Dodge Ram vehicle dashes.
If Chrysler accepted no responsibility for the dashboards when these trucks were new, they certainly won't accept any responsibility now.

Just the way it is.

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:47 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

welcome to the club.
i thought i'd wait for all mine to fall out in little pieces, then just put the one in. might be easier.
lol.

Old 09-26-2012 | 09:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I just covered it up with a carpeted dash mat. $30. Good enough for me.

Old 09-26-2012 | 02:26 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Trooper10
I have contacted an U.S. Senator's office and Dodge customer service about this issue. Mine has been cracked on the dodge Cummings diesel pickup for some time and needs to be repaired. Might this defect cause serious injury if it punctures the airbag or people riding in the vehicle during a crash? The dashes appear to need to be replaced, although some owners seem to be doing temporary repairs at their own expense. I am not sure the repairs completely make the vehicle safe unless the dash is replaced. Perhaps all of you could notify your U.S. Senators ref: investigating the need for a recall, as well as compensating owners of Dodge Ram vehicles who have paid for repairs to their Dodge Ram vehicle dashes.
What ever happened to "Buyer Beware?"

Old 09-26-2012 | 11:05 PM
redhemi06
Professional

ya all those fixes would be great, if there was any dash left! gonna rip mine out and do a custom sheet metal one the next four day weekend i get

Quick Reply: 2001 Dashboard Cracks