2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Project.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Great job so far man!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

Update:

Truck over heated on the test run. Came home, let it cool, took the thermostat off, tried to put it back in, stripped the threads.

Drilled and tapped the thread, put in helicoil, now its so tight and I had to use a bunch of washers on there since it wouldnt go all the way down.

Flushed the engine from the heater pipe, radiator filled up nicely, started the the engine, with no thermostat, no water cycling past, it just stayed there. Sat in the cab and watched the temp rise to over 220, gunned the engine to 5k rpm, temp went back down only to come back up. Looks like I have to replace the water pump.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

Ok I figured out a solution for one of my other issues. My Key for the ignition does not fit the doors. It costs $35 for Dodge to recut the keys and theres no guarantee that it will work on the doors, or I can take it to a lock smith and they charge $100 for doing the job.. OR I can just go to auto zone and pick up 2 locks and keys for $12.99!! I dont know why I didnt think of it sooner lol.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Time for a water pump party. They ain't that bad to change about a 1-2 hr project

Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

I got the tool from Autozone to take it off and I did a bit of reading and I think I know how to get it off without too much worry. I was going to do it today, but only crap is it hot today, I decided to just stay indoors lol.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
bigslick050
All Star

I know what you mean. I work on the truck outside most the time, and when its gets so humid, it's a real deturent to not go out there and get some work done. But I guess the heat is better than working on it outside in middle of winter when I can't grip my tools and wrenches...

I hope the water pump solves the problem! You've come too far on the truck to let it screw you over now ! lol

Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

You sir are correct, and I will deal with it accordingly, lol

The wifey decided I didnt have enough to do, she wants me to fix her brothers S10 and a plymouth voyager. eww, fwd with tranny issues.

The S10 list:

Accelerator cable
Gas tank has a hole in it
Radiator needs replacing
Door doesnt stay shut
Iginition barrel needs replacing, uses screwdriver to start it.

Most of the stuff will be from a junkyard, lol I found a pull n pay just 15 minutes away and I plan to raid it this weekend.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
rollinlow
Professional

hey splatsti are you interted in trading the wheels that you had on your truck for some of the parts you need for the s10?

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

Update:

Water pump install was a breeze. While I was there I replaced the bypass hose and pipe.

The water pump I took off, didnt leak at all, but the fins on the inside spun freely while holding the otherside, which of course should not happen.

Sealed everything back up with gasket sealant and tomorrow I will put fluids in and test her again. I hope this is the last time I have to take her apart. *crosses fingers.

S-10 Update:

Replaced radiator
Replaced throttle cable
Need to replace the whole drivers door
Need to replace the ignition barrel, key snapped in it and it wont even turn.
Gas tank still needs some work done it, if Im lucky I will find something at the pull and pay tomorrow.

Some pics:

Water pump off and the area to clean up.. oh boy...

New and Old water pump. The middle spun while holding on the pulley on the other side.. yeah its really broke.

Front side of new and old water pump - it came with the pull part on it as part of the unit, nothing to bolt on.

Last edited by SplatSTi; 08-08-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow :/

Quick Reply: My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Project.