2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Intermittent AC noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 AM
ferguson30
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent AC noise

2001 Ram, 5.9L, had it about a month now.

Shortly after I bought it, I noticed the air would start to make a grinding/chirping noise when the clutch kicked on, and it didn't seem to blow as cold.

I took the truck in to my mechanic (well his secretary) for some other small stuff I didn't have time for, and told them to check the AC over.

Went and picked it up and was told the AC was fine, no problems, good charge, etc. When I told him about the noise that I thought might be the clutch he said he didn't hear it. But if it was the clutch, just wait until it quits, and he'd replace the compressor then.

Since then I've realized the noise only seems to happen when it gets hotter outside. He looked at it first thing in the morning, and it was quiet then. That afternoon when I picked it up it started doing it. If I turn on the AC in the morning, its quiet, afternoons it is noisy.

I'm going to change the belt this weekend, just for preventative maintenance, maybe that will help. Any other ideas? Would the AC clutch only make noise in the warmer weather if it was going out?

Quick Reply: Intermittent AC noise