2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Swapping 05 CTD in to 97 with 5.9 V8 NEED INFO/OPINIONS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:40 AM
bigslick050
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping 05 CTD in to 97 with 5.9 V8 NEED INFO/OPINIONS

So I am really considering swapping the Cummins turbo Diesel H.O. into my 97 Ram 2500. The engine currently has blow-by, and it is leaking, burning oil and compression is all screwed up. So I wan to rebuilt from the ground up and drop in Betty.

My 97 Ram 2500 4x4 currently runs a 360 Mag paired to the 46RE Auto O/D trans with 241 HD transfer case and Dana 60 front and rear.

The '05 donor truck has the 48RE auto trans, and it is two-wheel drive with 11.50 rear axle running a 3.73

What I wanna know is will I be able to drop in the rebuilt Cummins and trans right to my 97 running the same transfer case and rear in it now? What will I have to change on the 97 to make this fit/compatible to bolt up? What kind of alternations can I expect with this, changing brake booster setup, engine harness and computer...ect...?

Is the swap possible with have these two trucks have together and is it worth doing? Opinions are appreciated, would like hear what ya'll think about this.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

The two wheel drive trans will not bolt up to the transfer case.

You will need to replace the entire engine wiring harness, PCM, trans harness, dash harness, and more than likely the gauge cluster as well.

The PCM is probably going to be annoyed about not getting some of the inputs it is expecting. (ABS being right up there on the list.) Not sure if it will care about the change in generation of airbags.

In all reality, it would be cheaper/easier to sell the lot, and buy a 4x4 with a diesel in it.

Quick Reply: Swapping 05 CTD in to 97 with 5.9 V8 NEED INFO/OPINIONS