2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pics of new 23's and some opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Coolio
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
Do you haul anything? I think you should lose the rear bumper in favor of a rollpan, it would just compliment the look IMO

Great lookin truck!
I don't haul anything but a lawnmower every couple of weeks but having the bed shell on it does make having a hitch pretty much a necessity.

The plan is to put a roll pan on it and get some new exhaust tips. I'm thinking about the rectangle 'cuda style. I know they make a hideable hitch but that may end up getting a little pricey. Anyone else have a roll pan with a hitch? I'd like some info on it.

I also originally planned on replacing the front bumper and grill with the parts from a sport but i don't think it would look all that great gloss black and the rims being the only thing chrome. I guess i could paint the grey part in the front bumper black but i don't know how that would hold up to bugs and such.

Last edited by Coolio; 08-12-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Coolio
Amateur

[quote=PurplDodge;2229720]
When you gonna bag it? It looks a little high in the air.
quote]

I'm not a big fan of the bagged look but i would like to level the rear about 2". I'd like to drop an inch or so in the front but if it cost 200 bucks to drop it an inch i doubt i'll mess with it. Plus it already rubs the inner fender on severe turns so i don't really want to make it worse.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about satin black instead of flat? There is a guy in the 3rd gen section that has a satin black paint job and it looks pretty good. I think his name is maori or something like that.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
redneckrocket38
Professional

Nice ride. There are only a few of us 2nd genners with wheels bigger than 17's. Let me see some pics of the roll pan if you do it, kinda been thinking about one myself but i have to keep the hitch.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Coolio
Amateur

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
How about satin black instead of flat? There is a guy in the 3rd gen section that has a satin black paint job and it looks pretty good. I think his name is maori or something like that.
Yeah, satin is what it would be. I want a little bit of shine but not much. Like the car below...i doubt i can get it painted as nice as that one but its what i'm shooting for.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Coolio
Amateur

Originally Posted by redneckrocket38
Nice ride. There are only a few of us 2nd genners with wheels bigger than 17's. Let me see some pics of the roll pan if you do it, kinda been thinking about one myself but i have to keep the hitch.
There weren't many 2nd gens with big wheels coming up on google images so i pretty much had nothing to base what it would look like. I'm just glad it turned out all right.

If and when i get the roll pan i'll definetly post it up. Ditto to you if you get it before i do.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 PM
techmike
Rookie

The rims and tires really set it off.....it's a real clean truck.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Looks really good. Maybe a 2-3 inch drop in the front and a 3-5 inch drop in the rear, would look even better

Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Gloss black for paint. wheels I'd leave them alone, not my preferred choice or size, but for once it actually doesn't look to bad. Nice job dude.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You pull that look off pretty well in my book. Honestly, I think you should do an Omni PPG black with a little flake in it. It will look close to stock, but it will have some razzle to it that you just don't see a lot of. It's expensive, but IMO, only do flats and satins if the truck is going to be cutting through the brush all the time.

You can keep swrils to a minimum just by hand washing and keeping a good quality wax on at all times. Straight line clear scratching comes from things hitting the finish while traveling down the road, but more often than not, the lines come from those nice scrub walls at auto car washes. Round swrils tend to come from an inexpierenced person using a buffing wheel.

The absolute nice thing about an AM paint job is that they tend to be a lot thicker than a factory paint. This means that if twenty years down the road the paint starts to fade and light scratching becomes too deep that a clay bar can't handle it, you can do a wet sand on the whole truck and bring back the shine as if it were done yesterday.

Also, if you can swing it, do at least a two stage paint job and not a one stage like what most paint shops will push you to. I just think that a two stage provides a much cleaner and deeper shine than a simple one stage does.

Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Pics of new 23's and some opinions needed.