2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

what a mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010 | 09:02 PM
lord0fsal3m
|
Captain
Default what a mess

so yea went to change my hub bearing and outer tie rod end today, what a mess. first the broke the 3/4" ratchet trying to get the axle nut off, so i had to go get a new one and heat the thing up to cherry red to get it off.

then with the tie rod end i got a moog and installed it to realize it was the wrong part and that the nut had just stripped on it. so i pretty much destroyed it and i dont think its returnable. ran out and got the autozone one hopefully it will be ok.

on top of that i was 20min over the time to take it in to get an alignment so i have to wait til tomorrow.

i would have some pics but i left my camera at the gf's so it was a pretty effed up day, just had to vent

Old 09-18-2010 | 07:58 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

damn that sucks....

how did the hub nut break a 3/4in? 3/4 worked fine for mine...

Old 09-18-2010 | 10:09 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

I wouldn't use a ratchet to get that nut off, use a big powerbar with a cheater bar or even better, an impact gun... Just DON'T put the nut back on with an impact or you'll chew the new bearing up too

I guess it's too late for ths advice though eh?

Old 09-18-2010 | 11:52 AM
lord0fsal3m
|
Captain

lol yea too late for that advice, my friends dads impact gun is 1/2" and couldnt find an adapter to go from 1/2" - 3/4" for the axle nut socket.

no idea how the hell i broke it, it worked fine when i replaced the u joint on the pass side. that drivers side was just on there really well

Quick Reply: what a mess