2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Pics of my moose hunt!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Pics of my moose hunt!!!!

ok, so i figure ill tell the story.

where we went it was deep into the Maine woods...If anyone has seen American Logger on discovery channel, we were past Telos Gate by 100 miles...i saw the Pellitier trucks and headquarters...but back t the point.

We were 148 miles into the woods...148 miles from the nearest gas station....148 miles from pavement. nothing around but woods and wildlife.

We took my dads 2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4. we had 4 15 gallon cans full of gas, for when we need to refill.

Saturday: We arrive at the camp. The owner of the camp is Bruce, he is 68 years old, and probably the funniest person ive met. his best friend was there, and another hunting party, but they stayed out in tents outside.

Heres a pic of bruce, and the camp

Name:  hubby10.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  74.5 KB

later that night we went for a ride, and saw 4 moose, one was a big bull with a HUGE rack.

went back to camp, and had some beers....i didnt drink much, but it was a rough night for the others lol.

Sunday: we mostly stayed around camp, and Bruce took us to the trolly car that goes across the St. John River. its about 400 yars long...really fun, you go across the entire river, get to a platform, and ride back...heres a few pics of that.

Me and Bruce on the staging

Name:  hubby.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  221.3 KB

heres me and one of the other guys that were staying at the camp when we took the ride.

Name:  hubb1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  143.7 KB
Name:  hubby5.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  74.6 KB

went back to camp, early night.

Monday: we all woke up at 5 am, and had a nice breakfast. Me and my dad got in the truck, and went to the spot where we saw the big bull. We got there at around 6:15 am...sun just came up.

We had a coffee can with a leather strap and used it as a call...(sounds just like a moose)

We sat there for 3 hours calling. We heard a bull grunt in the distance, but nothing came to us.

We then traveled around to see if we could find anything. at aroun 9:45am, i saw the back end of a moose go into the woods up a grass trail. We stoipped the truck, and we could hear a female moose just screaming...as my dad said "sounded like that moose was gettin raped, the bull had his nuts slappin on her rear end" it was about 100 yeards away but the woods were to thick.

We then sat there until 2:30 pm....4 1/2 hours of sitting and silence. Went back to camp for lunch, and went back there at around 3:30pm...nothing the rest of the night.

Tuesday: woke at 5am and on the road at 6:15 am. it was raining so we were just going to drive. no sitting.

so we go down a road, and get to the end, and i was like "DAD, stop" just then a bull walks out of the bushes, crosses in front of us and runs into the woods...it was on a slight hill, so we had to run down to it. couldnt find it.....

continued riding after scouting the area for about half and hour.....saw a cow later that day, but we had a bull permit.....

That night i said to my dad "we need to go back to where we saw that bull...he didnt leave the area" My dad agreed.

Wednesday: Woke at 5am, out at 6:15 am lol.

it was slightly misting out, and we took it slow driving down the road we saw the moose on, hoping we could see one. We got to where we saw the bull and parked the truck. i walked up the hill and watched one of the "fingers" (skidder trails in the woods) and the upper portion of the road. my dad stood on the lower portion of the road looking up 2 other fingers on the other side of the road.

My dad started using the call, and we heard a loud crash in the woods on the side of the road where the moose went the day before. So i was staring up that finger. we waited about five minutes, and i glanced up the road to see a big bull walking towards me. bigger than the one we saw the day before.

it was straight on to me. i lined up the .308 i was using, and got the crosshairs on his neck. i snapped my fingers to my dad and he slowly got up to me, and crouched behind a bush.

we stood there for about 2 minutes and it kept walking towards us, then it stopped. i did not lower the gun or move at all.

my dad said "You got him Jus?"

I said "I got him"

He said "When he turns, take him"

as soon as he said that, it turned, i shot, jacked in another shell (bolt action) and shot again. my dad shot 2 rounds as well.

it ran and turned into the woods...i had so much adrenaline running through me it wasnt even funny. My dad looked at me with a huge smile on his face and said "lets go"

We ran to where we saw the tracks of the moose...we shot it about about 200 yards away.

we saw the tracks where it went into the woods, and went in about 50 yards, looked around, and my dad found little spots of blood, not much.

we go back to the road, and we smoke a butt. He says " lets let him calm down, he'll keep running if we chase him now."

We waited about 20 minutes, and he told me to go down the road and watch the fingers, and he was going to try to push him out by following the blood.

So he entered the woods, and i went back to where we shot it. about 4 minutes later i hear POW...POW...

then i hear my dad in the woods yelling "WE GOT HIM JUS!!!" i run out to the woods, find my dad, and we had our prize laying on the ground. we were hooting and hollering, giving each other high 5's etc. VERY Excited.

my dad said he saw the thing laying down, and it jumped up, and my dad shot it, and put its face into the dirt....

The angles on the moose show that i hit him in the neck, and oneof my shots hit the rear leg, broke the leg, and also went through and hit a lung. my dad said "Your shot killed it, he was dead walking in those woods." the blood trail became much thicker and thats how my dad found it to shoot it...

this was 8:45am now, and me and my dad had a celebritory beer. cheered each other, high 5ing lol, something ill never forget. Very memorable moment with my father.

i took his truck to get the others, got back, and we bagn hauling it out of the woods....used a chainsaw winch. and got it out and into the truck by about 2:00 pm......it was 400 yards into the swampy woods........

went back to camp and we got hammered that night. im talking completly smashed....Bruce kept feeding me Captain Morgans and coke lol.....

Heres me and my prize....

Name:  hubby4.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  61.9 KB

thursday: we left so we could get the moose on ice, and to be cut up.

got it weighed at Abol Bridge on the way out.

it weighed 847 pounds dressed out. had a 52in. spread with 12 points.

heres pics of it being weighed.

Name:  hubby6.jpg
Size:  227.5 KB
Name:  hubby7.jpg
Size:  173.6 KB
Name:  hubby8.jpg
Size:  58.3 KB
Name:  hubby9.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  113.7 KB

Such an awesome time....Ill never forget it. Such a Blast!!!!

edit: the hat im wearing is a Dodge hat lol

Last edited by 95RAM360; 10-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:46 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet, that dude's a beast......does moose taste like deer?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:25 AM
sup_mario
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any experience on moose hunting... I want to try that...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I worked in Baxter State Park for a summer when I was in college. Used to see moose all the time while canoeing the Penobscot River. Saw more than a few black bear also.

Did more than my share of smallmouth bass and trout fishing, but never got to hunt there.

Nice Moose...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice kill man! my uncle has a camp up in colebrook, nh and he literally has moose and bear walking through his yard all day long and all night. you have to carry a gun on you at all times up there or it could end bad for you. again. congrats on your kill. that will be some tasty eating for sure!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i have some tender loins right now, and some heart....real good stuff...and i think it tastes better than deer....this moose is very tendor...

Hammer, i went through Baxter...thats about 2 hours from where i was hunting....and yea theres alot of moose...saw at least 1 everyday.

saw bear traps, but no bear. but they are around, ive seen them in the past.

my mom has more pics, im jsut waiting for her to send them to me.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God damn that things big, and how long did it take you to clean it, that looks like a b^tch have to be 15 foot tall to get to shoulders and stuff

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

took us about 10 minutes to dress it out....that was the easy part.....lol

and hammer, more accurate with directions, we were 15 miles from Clayton Lake, on the Nine mile road

Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't want a whole debate to start about it, I'm just sayin', LOL For life of me, I could never kill something that beautiful (unless it was trying to kill me of course) I'm happy sitting on my porch or looking out my window to the backyard and watch the turkeys, deer,moose and black bears do their thing. However, I respect the fact you enjoy hunting and had a good time.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest, I've been hunting since I was 13 years old and I might not be able to pull the trigger on a moose.
I've had myself convinced that we have decimated all the natural predator animals and deer populations are at an all-time high, so deer is not a problem for me.

I just got two rules, whether it be a deer, squirrel, duck, dove or even a catfish: I'm gonna take it in the most humane way possible and if I'm gonna kill it, I'm gonna eat it. Can't stand a SOB who kills for the sake of killing!!!

and 95Ram360, I left this post here because I know you wanna share it with your 2nd Gen buds, but how about a couple pics in the Outdoors Section?

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Pics of my moose hunt!!!!