2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

All Headers created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM
lvolson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Headers created equal?

Don't fret... I know that's not the case.

I am curious what the difference is between the headers on Ebay for $110 and the name brand ones for $400+?

Also, besides the price and looks, is there any difference between the various finishes... why is ceramic so much more?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I can tell through lots and lots of reading, the auction headers are a hit or miss proposition, while the name brand headers, depending upon the name and the price point, are more consistent in quality and longer-lived.

Ceramic costs more because the coating process costs more. At present it's arguably the best coating option. In addition to protecting against rust-through, it insulates the headers so the exhaust gas stays hotter further downstream which is very good for scavenging efficiency. And emissions too, if you have a catalytic converter, because the hotter exhaust stream helps to get the cat up to operating temperature sooner.

A pretty good rule of thumb: The more you spend on headers, the better they fit and the longer they last.

Quick Reply: All Headers created equal?