2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nearing the end....

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nearing the end....

of my mods, and I thought I'd put together a list of things I've done for folks to reference, or be able to search for instead of clambering around trying to find them piecemeal..

I'm bored today, so watch out for "opinion: ad nasium"

foundation: 2002 1500 QC Sport 4x4, 5.9L Magnum..

1st place goes to: SCT, tuned by HemiFever, $275 shipped..
2nd place: 4.56:1 gears, Motive R&P's from Moe's, local install, $1800..
3rd place: Hughes FI Air Gap intake manifold, Hughes Engines, $600..
4th place: Electric fans, eBay fans for $40 (two 16" @ 2700cfm each) Controller: Flex-a-lite, $55 from Summit Racing..
t5th place: Double roller timing chain set, $90 Summit Racing..
t5th place: H&S 1.7rr's, $350 from Summit Racing..
6th place: Hedman Headers, $215 Summit racing, true duals w/Magnaflow high flow cats(2), and Magnaflow True X Muffler $200 combined, $300 install local..
7th place: Fastman 52mm Throttle Body
8th place: MSD ignition
9th place: 8.5mm plug wires, copper point distributor and rotor button, CHAMPION plugs..
10th place: 180* stat (hey, I needed it for the tuner...

I can't tell you where the new injectors will land, but I'm sure they'll make the list.. OFF the list are Volant CAI as I'm not certain if it does anything for me, high volume WP- for the same reason, and Hughes Plenum gasket kit, because I've ran one, and I've ran one with the kegger mod, and I've ran the FI, and the FI is far superior..

specifics:

1- SCT not only wiped the death flash, but it also eliminated torque management which (as it turns out) is just as good a reason to get one. HemiFever knows his business, and the tunes are noticeable instantly.. My truck likes the 91 tune, and though I've played with all three, I settled back on the 91.

2- Making up for lost ratio due to larger tires (35"), I went with gears to save my tranny some stress.. The mileage is almost the dead same, and the grunt down low is perfect.. I can tow everything I towed before with greater ease and can break the tires free from the terra even easier than before (12.5" width, that's saying something).. Top end suffers a little, as at 70mph on the speedo (actually 74mph in reality) I'm at 2200RPM.. There is no 'selective wander' with the tranny though, so that makes up for it.

3- The FI got rid of any concern about a plenum gasket.. It has tentatively improved mileage.. It provides a stronger vacuum signal.. It allows passing much easier than before.. Oh yeah, it eliminates plenum gasket failure once and for all.. I needed to say that twice..

4- Say what you will, but the eFan was awesome for me.. I can back loads/trailers in tight areas w/o concern for the temp gauge (and subsequently the engine).. THAT, was what I wanted, and that is what it accomplished.. BUT, it also provides a HECKUVA lot more grunt off the line.. I'm talking likely twenty more pounds of torque at least.. THAT was a nice little bonus.. This was a VERY nice mod for the $..

t5- Double roller chains don't stretch as much, and allow the PCM to select timing and stick with it for greater precision.. And the slop in the OEM after 146k miles was visibly noticeable. The engine tightened up considerably, and allowed me to take better advantage of:

t5- 1.7 rocker rollers.. I'm thinking there was some gain here but I can't tell you it was extremely noticeable.. I mean, there is no way the engine wasn't enhanced by eliminating the mechanical pivot of the factory rockers, but the install was at the same time as the Hughes Plenum Plate and of course there was the PCM adjusting period which didn't allow me to feel instant response.. I know it's there though.. Or, I hope it's there.. I can't tell you for certain though.. I can tell you it responds to revving a lot smoother and with a whole lot less clatter, and it is just as smooth at 4500RPM as it is at 1500RPM.. before, it seemed like the engine was going to fly apart.. That little advantage, and not knowing exactly what else it did for me puts this mod tied for 5th..

6- this was a system and not just one mod, and it happened over a period of time.. The headers by themselves gave the engine a different tone and that is about it.. I didn't fully realize the gain until I opened it ALL THE WAY up, which is each bank having new o2 sensors, their own pre-cat and High Flow cat, and then the true-x muffler to maximize scavenging. They OEM Y pipe is horrifically restricting- I was stupified by it's design.. I cut it up, and wish I had taken picture to show you- but it basically 'sleeved' two 2.5" pipes into maybe a 2.75" pipe and squeezed them (literally) into another 2.5" right before the OEM cat.. When I opened that thing up, the first few miles had me wondering about low end, but then I realized there was NO loss of low end, but a WHOLE LOT smoother low end.. The engine propelled the truck a lot quicker and just as strong.. What I thought was a loss was actually it responding at 700~800 RPM rather than an all of sudden 'burst' at 900RPM.. I dig..

7-Let me say this clear: the 52m does not give you more power, period.. What it does is allows more air into the intake with less accelerator pressure.. It will help your very top end, but does nothing for you down low. I went into this knowing that, but still rank this mod here.. because: coupled with the FI and gears, this rig is a passing monster.. At a steady 40mph, and very little movement of the go foot, the truck drops a gear and accelerates from 1400RPM @40mph to 2500RPM @65mph (and then I back off a little to settle at 2200RPM @70mph) VERY quickly.. I dig that A LOT..

8-Clean ignition is good ignition and anything is better than stock ignition.. It was a little of a pain to install (more due to weather than anything), but there is very strong signal across the board, and I know those plugs are getting precision spark when they're 'sposed to, which again, allows the tune to be more precise- which improves power and economy..

9- a basic tune with good parts makes a ton of difference.. A new set of iridium plugs was a bad idea though as I encountered a ton of ping.. Swapping back to the $1.50 Champs stopped that. Inspecting the Champs after 1500, and then 3000 miles tells me they are having a fine life..

10- I needed a tenth place basically.. the 180 rated 'stat allows me to make better use of Hemifever's tunes, and it- in theory- allows the engine to run cooler, though burn a little richer a/f mix.. I noticed it has more power than a 160* (don't ask why), and more than a 195*, and, again, I needed a tenth place so it got it..

Again, I'm sure the injectors, once I get them on there, will make the list (at least tenth place), and there may be some fangdangleing of the list afterward.. Also, realize, of all the mods I listed- SOME, work together to maximize gains, and SOME are stand alone..

These are the basic bolt-ons.. Anything more would require a HUGE shuffle of rank.. Like a Cam.. Or Heads.. ruh-roh.. I wish I hadn't thunk that aloud..

Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice write up, i agree with wit the sct, then i would do highflow cat and longtubes,then 1.7 and then CAI and the fastman. hope the airgap will work well with the mods i have

Quick Reply: Nearing the end....