2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Help with oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:05 PM
magV8sea
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with oxygen sensors

I was just wondering if replacing all of my oxygen sensor woud help my gas milage? I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9L-360 and how many is in my truck. What would be a good brand to buy for my truck?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:20 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cali emissions have as many as four depending on the year- federal emissions have two.. there were several p/n's used that differ from year to year so do a google search for NTK/NGK o2 sensors.. most websites have a search feature that will narrow down your search for what you need.

stay away from Bosch o2 sensors.. they don't like our trucks, or our trucks don't like them, or there is some sort of beef going on there that isn't worth investigating.. just buy NTK- they seem to work out every time.

you will see a gain in fuel economy if in case your present o2 sensors are sending information to the PCM that isn't optimal, but not to the point of tripping any codes. It happens.. Some report great gains, some don't report any.. It's going to be based on the condition of your o2 sensor which is going to be based on the condition of your plenum (burning oil possibly), your ignition (getting good spark and getting a good burn), your injectors (capable of providing a good a/f mix), your exhaust (no leaks), your timing (hitting the spark at the optimal time), the age/mileage/use of the present o2's, and a shizen load of other factors too I would guess.

Quick Reply: Help with oxygen sensors