2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need some input on possible head/valve problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 PM
bhynes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some input on possible head/valve problem

The truck is a 99 Ram 1500 5.9. To give some background info, this is my dads truck that he bought a couple years ago. He had a ping and noticed he was burning a little oil after he bought it. He replaced the wires/cap/rotor and that seemed to help him out with the power/ping problem. This last november we fixed his leaking plenum. About a month ago he had a bad knock and a code, checked the code, said #8 misfire, and when he took out the #8 spark plug, the end had been completely burned or broke off. He replaced the plug but still has the misfire.
So I need some advice on a low compression problem in the #8 cylinder. He tested the #2 cyl and got 150 lbs and then tested the #8 and got 80 lbs. Is there any way to tell weather its a bad ring or bad valve(s)? If it is a valve problem, is it possible to pull the head and rebuild that part of the head for that cylinder? I need any advice you can send my way. Thanks

Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Our heads are known to crack around the valve seal.....so the head may be cracked....and at the #8 cylinder is typically the first to go....pull the heads and put some 2.02 iron ram heads on, and you'll be good.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Cylinder leakdown test will tell the tale. Need the right gauges, and an air compressor to do it though.

80 pounds is too low. Yer gonna have ta pull the head anyway....... and hopefully NOT find a hole in the piston.

Quick Reply: Need some input on possible head/valve problem