2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

side exhaust...no good.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side exhaust...no good.

So last summer, I cut off the back half of my exhaust after the muffler and turned it out the side, in front of the rear pass. tire...what a mistake. Went out today to polish all the chrome and stainless on the truck, and all rims, bumpers, mirrors, cleaned up beautifully. Look like mirrors. Except the rim right behind that damm side exhaust. Angers me....If I scrub really hard, it polishes up, but it's got a thin layer of exhaust film over the entire rim. What a PITA.

So for anyone thinking that side pipes may be in your interest...I'd highly suggest not doing it if you have chrome rims. I'll be getting to the duals out the rear, like I've been wanting to, ASAP. Going to try and get a pic right quick and show ya...sooo annoying.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
rl99dram
Professional

Invest in black wheels haha.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sulphur in exhaust gas is acidic and will eventually cause pitting/etching of anything on the truck it can stick to. The hot ticket with side exits is to get them behind the axle and angled slightly downward to get the exhaust into less turbulent air so it can be left behind rather than trapped in an eddy current that will swirl it up against the body of the truck. The air around your wheels is exceptionally turbulent and will capture exhaust gas in eddies if your exhaust exits ahead of the axle.

If the tips on rear exits are very much at all ahead of the rear bumper, the exhaust gas may be trapped in the eddy currents behind the tailgate and swirl up against the paint. Ya know how road grime tends to collect on the lower part of the tailgate? That's where the exhaust will land, too, if you let it.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM
rl99dram
Professional

wow, just learned a lot haha, how about just dumping them?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

well, that's why i made this post. Because I was annoyed, and figured I'd save someone else the hassle if they were thinking of going with side exits. In front of the rear axle anyways. I just spent 1/8 of my chrome polish bottle, and about an hour, reapplying, scrubbing, cleaning, reapplying, cleaning, etc. etc, and most of it (except really hard to get to spots) came off. Hopefully walmart carrys some standard grade elbow grease, cause I'm hurtin now. Grrr....PITA. And to think I wanted to route duals out each side in front of the rear axle...forget that idea. Makes me wonder though how those drums are lookin in the back though. I'm sure the brakes and everything have a good layer of the crap on 'em too. Sure liked the sound of it though Ah well.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM
rl99dram
Professional

Ya id check the brakes out for sure, but man that sucks, wish there was a way .. bet it sounded sexy.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rl99dram
wow, just learned a lot haha, how about just dumping them?
It'll crap up the tailgate with your very own acid rain truck wash.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 AM
rl99dram
Professional

NOOOO ill never win this exhaust pipe war!! here I COME STACKS!!! haha.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:23 AM
94ram4x4911
Amateur

I have a side exit exhaust and my wheel is fine, givin that I wash em and poliish em almost every weekend

Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i got exhaust behing my passnger tire works great

Quick Reply: side exhaust...no good.